Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Flywheel or Flexplate

Squirtin Thunder
    Thius summer, with the thru-transom headers, I should pull 400HP without the Sniper nitrous plate (replaces the 75HP MMM setup from '79), another 100-150HP. Next year's porting on my heads (BBC open chamber '049's) with valve up-size should net me clost to 500 HP total according to the head shop that does DuaneHTP's. The nitrous will then drop to 100 (if not already there) and stay there. Close to 600 HP total by spring '07. My budget won't let me do stuff all at once.
    I ran 560hp all season with no problems, I will be putting about 700hp to the A3. But the trick is not turning over 6K and keeping the pump loaded.

CrdStang
    Oh man, this thread has been great..I can't believe so many of you are so lost about the whole flywheel issue.
    Bottom line, unless your boat has a clutch, your flywheel is only hurting you.
    (possible ring gear issues notwithstanding)
    In a car, the rotational energy stored in the large mass of flywheel is used to help the engine get the car into motion while the clutch is engaging. Once the clutch is locked up, the flywheel is only hurting your car too. :idea:
    :argue:

Jims right, I ran an American Turbine AA impeller for 5 years, with 700HP never had any issues, cracks, or excessive wear, Treat it right and they will last a long time :crossx:
    Sleek

steelcomp
    One more thing, you take the pro stock class in N.H.R.A they run lenco's, Liberty's etc, Do you not think in the most Competitive class in N.H.R.A if rotating weight was such the issue i.e. above they would be running ---oh let's say an automatic HA HA lol Lmao Guess again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!! I guess boats are more of a science than prostock cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ENOUGH SAID
    This made no sense at all! MP's right, and anyone else that says that rotating mass, AFA acceleration in a boat, is a BAD thing. Simple physics.
    Who is this guy?? :notam:

Glencoe MiniDay
    In A jetboat If you were setup with the right parts say like a Stainless impeller you would not have to worry about swelling the impeller at high r's
    Also wouldn't the water in a pump that has an inducer act like the fluid in a converter in a car??

Squirtin Thunder
    In A jetboat If you were setup with the right parts say like a Stainless impeller you would not have to worry about swelling the impeller at high r's
    Also wouldn't the water in a pump that has an inducer act like the fluid in a converter in a car??
    Actually that does happen Bottom Feeder has run some test that confirm this, but it is at the bowl.

steelcomp
    Also wouldn't the water in a pump that has an inducer act like the fluid in a converter in a car??Actually, a 316 stainless impeller will grow quite a bit at higher R's. In a torque converter, the fluids are contained. Not so in a jet pump, especially on the low pressure side, where the inducer is.

Duane HTP
    It sounds like Klass Klown doesn't know that most boats do not have a clutch.
    KK, there is no clutch in a boat, Therefore no need for all of that flywheel weight. We want these babies to spin up quick. NOT worried about cornering or burn outs. Less weight means quicker acceleration. Besides, the shaft and impeller work as a flywheel anyway.

steelcomp
    It sounds like Klass Klown doesn't know that most boats do not have a clutch.
    KK, there is no clutch in a boat, Therefore no need for all of that flywheel weight. We want these babies to spin up quick. NOT worried about cornering or burn outs. Less weight means quicker acceleration. Besides, the shaft and impeller work as a flywheel anyway.Duane, check out the boat drags...there's plenty of boats with clutches in them. Granted, you don't have to "slip" it like in a car, therefore you're right about not needing the flywheel, but there are boats with clutches, none the less.
    Happy New Year!

Duane HTP
    Steelcomp, Please read my post again.
    most boats do not have a clutch.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast