Thread: 4 Questions for my fall project in advance...

dgie
    4 questions for my fall project, some I have asked before but still collecting thoughts before fall:
    1. I need to repaint my trailer what are yall using? Rustoleum or?
    2. I need to replace my stringers, they are full length. How do I get to them under the bow up front, seperate the top deck from the hull or?
    3. I want to also flip the boat and work on the bottom, remove any hooks etc. maybe slick coat the bottom also. What should I set the boat on. Some have sugested tires, jack stands to the stringers etc. collecting views
    4. The neck of one of my saddle tanks is cracked and needs to be rewelded How do you weld on a gas tank without it blowing up? also will it be hard to find someone to weld it?
    Thanks

dgie
    Still looking for views on the stringer replacement question and trailer paint. I posted on Banderlog also and recieved a few good responses one mentioned powder coating the trailer and for the stringer replacement to seperate the deck form the hull. Anyone here done this before???

BrendellaJet
    Ill give you my input.
    Stringers. Do not separate the deck from the hull. If anything, cut out the bulk head (if any) and get down there and roll around underneath the bow. Dirty work, but way easier IMO.
    My bro powder coated his trailer. It has been a year or so and it has spent some time outdoors and has oxidized some. If your into doing it yourself-paint it-way cheaper. Im gonna paint mine when the time comes.

Challenged Pimp
    For the Trailer:
    I'm no expert, but I have painted a few cars.
    It depends on how nice you want your trailer to look. If you just want to make it one color, then rattle can will work.
    Personally I plan on using base/clear on my trailer (after welding some broken ass parts on it!) Something like Omni, I don't see the need for PPG or Dupont for a trailer. Same tactics as painting a car, fix the dents, primer, block, paint, clear, wet sand, buff....
    Stringers:
    Well Fomoco is right in the middle of replacing one of his stringers, and is going to flip the boat once it's replaced to straighten the bottom out. We just plan on cutting the old stringer out, cut the bulkhead out, and shave the new stringer to match the original. Once it's all glassed in, he's gonna glass the bulkhead back in. This boat is already painted, so separating the top is not an option.
    I think he's going to make a stand for the boat when he flips it. With supports resting across the bow and the rear, and using foam or something soft to rest on so it won't scratch the paint.

AngryJosh
    I have heard of people seperating the boat to replace stringers, although I did not do this. I had a 22ft Nordic and we replaced the full length stringers by gutting the boat and crawling up into the bow. It was simple enough.
    We set up big fans for circulation, and set up lights so we could see what we were doing. Do not attempt anything until you get a quality resperator that will filter the dust and fumes. Its tight, but it can be done. I can try to post pics of the Nordic if you need.
    As for flipping the boat, jackstands work well when placed on the stringers, and stack some old tires around the outside so the boat wont tip/rock when you put pressure on the outside edges.
    Good luck

dgie
    One problem I see is there is a lot of foam and who knows what else up front. Is there an easy way to get rid of the foam other then cutting it out? I hope there are no Brown Recluses up there
    Angry Josh are you still in the Corps? when did you join? I was in from 1986-1998 stationed in Camp Pendleton, Tustin, And Futenma...not to mention 2 years on the ship and 1 year in Desert shield, Desert Storm, and Desert Stay. I sure miss the middle East and the Phillipines, but especially the Marine Corps. and the Auto Hobby Shop

AngryJosh
    Just strip the foam out, you really dont need it. Be careful not to gouge the hull when stripping that shit, its nasty!!
    I was in for six years, from 97-03. I was stationed at Pendleton, APG, maryland and one six month hump in Iraq. Semper Fi