Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: vacuum pump

coolbreeze
    does anyone no how much more power vacuum pumps make. I look up prices seems to cost around 600 to 700 bucks and they just say it increses hp. to me running another belt would take more hp I guess I trying to see if its worth the xtra bucks thanx craig

GofastRacer
    It's hard to tell how much power you get. What it does is pull the windage out of the crankcase, the real benefit comes under continuous high rpm like the NASCAR boys. It also prevents oil leaks. If you don't run high r's, you can use an old smog pump, that's how it all started but they don't hold up at high rpm, that's when the aftermarket came in and made a suitable one for sustained rpm....

coolbreeze
    well i guess i can't see 700 frog skins for that but i will be turning about 6500 rpms but not for long periods of time..craig

jroos
    GoFast, how would you plumb it? That is an awsome idea. I`ve never heard of that. I meen talk about damn near free hp. Not to mention prolonging gasket life. Which one sucks the most inches, how much is enough?

Duane HTP
    Look at page 2 of this forum and click on
    "Wana go 128 in a 21'er" On the right head is a vacuum pump, venting to a catch can.

jroos
    I am aware that a vacuum pump can be purchased. I am referring to a smog pump on a car. I haven`t seen one in years and at best didn`t study the damn things when I was removing them. I was wondering where to run the exhaust side of pump? I guess that`s been answerred in TaylorJet`s thread. A catch can. Is there anywhere else? I am already cramped for space. Has it ever been run to exhaust?
    [This message has been edited by jroos (edited March 19, 2002).]

superdave013
    Originally posted by jroos:
    I am aware that a vacuum pump can be purchased. I am referring to a smog pump on a car. I haven`t seen one in years and at best didn`t study the damn things when I was removing them. I was wondering where to run the exhaust side of pump? I guess that`s been answerred in TaylorJet`s thread. A catch can. Is there anywhere else? I am already cramped for space. Has it ever been run to exhaust?
    [This message has been edited by jroos (edited March 19, 2002).]
    jroos, My friend, run it to a pcv valve and back to your carb, hehe
    Sorry man, I just couldn't help it http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

PE857
    Have heard of a 12 volt pump, anyone familiar with it? I have too many belts on front of my motor now. Sounds easier to use.

HYDROMOBILE
    Vacume pump, valve cover to catch can to pump, exit to ehaust, Jim Brock

Hallett19
    Lastnight at Ben Alameda's, he built a 351, full race motor, the car is an '82 mustang fox body, full body with stock style rear suspension, best run of 9.14@140 somthing, he runs a smog pump, off the crank, that is the only accesory ran off the crank, and tubes directly into the valve covers, any takes on that ? this is one of 4 cars in the country that run that fast on a small block. If it works on that car, it could be something to think about on our boats, this thing turns almost 9000 rpm's though ....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast