Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braided Fittings Help

Lawler
    I'm having trouble getting the 6 AN fittings on the braided hose. I have 8 AN and 6 AN on my boat and the 8 AN went on no problem but the 6 AN hose fittings are giving me one hell of a hard time. I have gotten them all on but one. This one I can't seem to get the leak stopped. I have cut the line twice and tried it again. It's been very difficult to get the fitting in the hose. Just windering if anyone has any suggestions or tricks of the trade? All the fittings are Earl's.

Wally_Gator
    Contact Superdave at sweetperformance.
    He should be able to help you out.
    www.sweetperformance.com.

clownpuncher
    I'm thinking if the hose end is good, it's gotta be the fitting itslef.

Heatseeker
    While doing my lines, I noticed that the smaller the line, the harder to get the line in that damn socket! It can be a bitch but you can get it though.
    How are you cutting it. A clean cut makes it alot easier. I wrapped the line with black tape as tight as I could before cutting it. I used a cut off wheel on a die grinder. I tried to keep the cutting action of the wheel towards the rubber at all times to avoid seperating the strands. When I removed the tape, I pulled it off the end of the line, as opposed to unwrapping it. This helped to keep the strands from splaying open. Once you get the hose started into the socket, make sure you get the hose buried in the socket as far as it will go before screwing the end on.
    Hope this helps ya some.

lucky
    MY BOAT IS DOWN SINCE FATHERS DAY AND I JUST FILLED IT UP SO MY STEP SON ( CHEESEDICK - ON BOARDS ) NEEDS GAS I TOLD HIM TO SIPHON IT OUT - THE SIDE WITH THE HILL WAS EASY - THE SIDE GOING UP THE HILL IS NOT - SO I HAVE A HOLLEY TRANSFER PUMP IN THE " SHED " ONE END HAS MY BRAND NEW 8 AN HOSE FOR MY TANK TO THE SWITCH - ( I WAS SUCKING DIRECTLY FROM THE TANK PU - ) SO I TELL HIM WHAT TO DO , AND I GO FEED THE ANIMALS - DAUGHTERS GOATS - WALK UPTO CHECK ON HIM AND LOST IT - HE TOOK MY NEW HOSE AND TOOK IT APART CAUSE IT WOULD NOT FIT IN HIS TANK - ( THIS IS THE SUCTION SIDE , AND I TOLD HIM WHAT AND HOW ) OHH THEN HE RAN OVER MY NEW MERCURY LIGHT AND BROKE IT - I LOOKED AT HIM AND TOLD HIM HE SHOULD LEAVE RIGHT NOW BEFORE I LOOSE IT AND BEAT HIS ASS .. - iT TOOK AN HOUR TO PUT THAT DAM HOSE TOGHETHER AND I REMBER MY ALL THE BLOOD I LOST FROME THEM DAM THINGS POKING ME -- DAM HOSES

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Steel braied hose is very nice looking but if you dont respect it "IT WILL PUNK THE SHIT OUT OF YOU" :boxingguy :boxingguy I think alot of us have experienced being punkd' by steel braided hose

Lawler
    Does anyone have any trickds for getting the smaller fittings on?

superdave013
    Put some tape around the hose. Cut it with a cutoff type wheel in a die grinder or chop saw. Or any other way to get a clean cut. I use a big pair of snips, other use a chisle/hammer with good results. If those Earls fittings are cutters you need to get a nice staight cut too.
    Now take apart the fitting. Put the socket nut in a vice (I have some real nice soft jaws that make this much easier) facing straight up. Remove the tape from the hose and carefully put in into the socket nut. You might need to rotate the hose a tad. Also it helps to have a small screwdriver handy to poke in some stray strands if needed.
    Now remove the hose and socket nut from the vice and reposition it so the nut is sticking from the side of the vice just a tad. Coat the socket nut, inside of the hose and the threads on the fitting with oil. Push the fitting into the hose. Might have to push kinda hard to get the threads to start in cutters. Then thread together with your fav. wrench.
    Now before you even start I'm assuming this is a fitting that you are having a hard time with and was put together before. Look at it to be sure there is no rubber in the cutter section. If there is you need to dig it out.
    Have fun, it's not bad at all when you get the hang of it.

Lawler
    Thanks for all of the info. We shall try it again!!

victorfb
    earls uses a slightly differant size hose than some of the other common brands. make sure you are useing earls lines with their fittings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast