Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What Major? What Job?

uclahater
    Hey, nice meeting you at LBC... Yeah, I am just such a person... V-driver that graduated from UCLA... Actually there are quite a few of us...
    I watch with interest when USCHater gets on you but he has been in absentia for quite some time, guess I'll have to represent for him for the time being...
    Nice meeting you to
    I bet you and USC Hater are real close probably best buds :supp:

eliminatedsprinter
    that scream character, he's a smart guy! My wife is a cpa and I can tell you there is money to be made. I do well, but she does better!
    There's that math thing again... :wink:

MagicMtnDan
    You need to study what you like (and can excel at) and target a career that you will like.
    If you're a technical person I strongly recommend engineering. The vast majority of the engineers we interview are from another country and they can't be involved in aerospace and defense projects. There aren't enough engineers from the US in the US.
    I strongly recommend you browse Monster.com and look for jobs to see which areas are have jobs available. Sure things will change but employers will always seek qualified (educated) people with relevant backgrounds.
    I'm in the micro-device (AKA "MEMS") industry and am very familiar with Nano. It has great potential but it's still years away (it's hard enough for people to interface with micro-scale devices - you can imagine what it's like to interface [work with] Nano devices like Buckyballs and nanotubes that are on the molecular scale).
    Find an industry that appeals to you and pick up their trade magazines (you can subscribe for free) to see what it's like to work in the industry and find out about the jobs that are available now and what they pay.
    If you're into education then study whatever you want. If you're into education and money then study what companies want. You won't be disappointed. Good luck!

Havasu_Dreamin
    Echo what others have said, find something you enjoy doing and hopefully it is something that you can make some good money at. I've got a degree in Human Resources Management but I only use it in so far that I work in the IS group for HR. I do no real HR work. Besides, working on the computer side of HR I make more than the HR paperchasers.

BoatNut Recruiter
    Vocational school does prepare one for a career in a very specialized field, computers, court reporting, electronics, etc...
    I'm new to the board....Hello to all.....from my limited reading of posts yesterday, what a cool bunch of people around here.....
    my 2 cents,
    I'm the Director of HR for Olympic Boat Centers, and no one in the boating industry can find enough Marine Technicians/Mechanics.
    Huge demand for that, and a good one can make 6 figures ......
    Cypress College (Long Beach I think?) has a good program.......

Coach
    I have not seen the right answer here yet. I just married a great woman who makes the $$$. I am a teacher and love it, you get a ton of time off but without my wifes job we would not have all the toys. There are a lot of ways of making good money but most require a lot of time, especially in the first two years. You need to figure out what you like to do and what your strengths are as a person. I am a PE major and intially was heading towards the Physical Therapy route, but just hated it once I started putting in time at different clinics. I got my teaching credential and my masters at the same time and have not looked back. My wife is a biology major who is now in sales (the bio background helps her job, but most are business majors).

Dave C
    Listen closely. I wish someone had given me this advise when I was your age.
    YOU CANNOT BECOME RICH WORKING ON A SALARY. There only 3 ways to make real money (6-7 figures +)
    1) inheritance
    2) gold digger
    3) be an entrepeneur and provide something few others can.
    If you want to go to college get a "useful" albeit general degree, such as business or engineering. Stay away from useless degrees that will lead to nothing (e.g. liberal arts, film, etc.) Find something that you can tolerate that would be useful in the job market. Degrees are just pieces of paper and don't provide much practical knowledge. Instead you are taught to "think" for yourself.
    YOU MUST SPECIALIZE in your field of choice AFTER you graduate (a CPA is a good example). Get into a business you can tolerate and continue your education from there in your field of choice. THEN START YOUR OWN BUSINESS.
    Unless you want to become an M.D. or a lawyer, graduate school is a waste of money. Most people prefer professionals in their fields.
    You must work hard and use your brain. NO way around that.
    Technology is very fickle. if you have the current hot technology, someone will always come out with something new and better.
    Generally GOOD salesman make more money than anyone else in the organization!
    for those of you who disagree with the entrepeneur part, lets take a occupational poll of those who own boats that cost $200,000 + and you will see what I mean.

Essex502
    Stay away from useless degrees that will lead to nothing (e.g. liberal arts, film, etc.)
    Tell that to George Lucas.

eliminatedsprinter
    I have not seen the right answer here yet. I just married a great woman who makes the $$$. I am a teacher and love it, you get a ton of time off but without my wifes job we would not have all the toys. There are a lot of ways of making good money but most require a lot of time, especially in the first two years. You need to figure out what you like to do and what your strengths are as a person. I am a PE major and intially was heading towards the Physical Therapy route, but just hated it once I started putting in time at different clinics. I got my teaching credential and my masters at the same time and have not looked back. My wife is a biology major who is now in sales (the bio background helps her job, but most are business majors).
    I'm a therapist with tons of education and we have to live pretty close. However, it is not due to my low pay, but rather to some poor choices. Even with my fairly low pay, I have had my chances to be very well off. I just blew them (bought a boat etc.. ). I've seen plenty of people who had modest paying (but secure) jobs do very well by saving and investing wisely.

Mrs. casean
    I am a senior at CSUSM and my major is Human Dev. emphasizing in Childrens Services. I can do a lot w/ that major however the money won't be mad off the bat... most people w/ that major have to continue education in the Masters or Phd as well... amazing how much money is spent on college and how many people tell you "you must go to college in order to make a good living" I call bull shit! Even after spending $1000's of dollars (I am on the 8 year plan) :squiggle: If I chose a career just out of college no one will pull my transcripts or even ask for verification of a degree... that costs money and why would a company do that unless it is medical, cpa ect... type of a company that really should pull that info.. My point is lots of money just to make me $35000 starting after spending almost that much to get the piece of paper behind my name... I know quite a few people who just landed the right position and worked the way up w/o even attempting college. Yes it is a good thing when the position requires it, but I just hope you like what you do after the time and money spent for the small pay... teaching is a good example... gotta love what you do! Which I wanted to do but an OVER school and the money I am giving them and an outta there in May and probably wont' look back for more. I just want a job to pay for our toys and help us live comfortable and give me time w/ my family. Thank god for my husbands job Good luck to you in your search!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast