Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What Major? What Job?

HavasuDreamin'
    Generally GOOD salesman make more money than anyone else in the organization!
    This is the truth. If you want to make very good money.........doctor, lawyer, etc. which are very specialized and take lots of years of school. If you end up with a business degree, or any other generic degree, the only way to make good money is in sales..........and there is sales in every industry out there........every one.

Essex502
    This is the truth. If you want to make very good money.........doctor, lawyer, etc. which are very specialized and take lots of years of school. If you end up with a business degree, or any other generic degree, the only way to make good money is in sales..........and there is sales in every industry out there........every one.
    Not to mention ending up with HUGE student loan debt once you get out of college for those advanced degrees.

Dave C
    Lucas epitomizes the true entrepeneur. So does Spielberg and Hanks. Because they own their own property.
    How many film students are never heard from again. A lot.
    Tell that to George Lucas.

Dave C
    sales--- your are right. I am privy to the salaries for all employees for over 200 companies. The salespeople can make a lot of $$.... top sales can make $500,000+... but those are rare.
    I disagree about the "only way" to make money with generic degree. Most small business owners that I work with don't have specialized degrees, except doctors and lawyers, but make mucho $$$$$.
    its all about the entrepreneurial spirit. Most people don't have it. if your a clock puncher, you ain't got it. But those that do can make some serious $. Example, look at the d-row guys. I figure most of those guys are small business owners from what I have read and damn big boats!!!!

Scream
    that scream character, he's a smart guy! My wife is a cpa and I can tell you there is money to be made. I do well, but she does better!
    Thanks SL, I actually went to college for several years to become a CPA. Shoulda stuck with it, cause now I'm a turkey plucker... lol
    My soon to be x brother in law worked his way up the ladder, became a pricipal in his small firm, watch all the "OG's" retire and bail and now he's doin about as much as GW is...+ equity. Not bad for a 4 year degree and a bit o hard work.

eliminatedsprinter
    I am a PE major .
    How refreshing to hear the name P.E. again. I am also from one of those last few schools who still had the balls to call it P.E. Of course the school I graduated from later sold out and wussified the name to Kinesiology, but I am proud to have got my B.A. in P.E. (with duel emphases, one in coaching and the other in adapted and therapeutic exercise).

little rowe boat
    It sucks being up there in years and losing your job.
    My dad worked for NORDSKOG for 30 years and made really good money. When Bob died they sold the business. My dad was the only one, who was asked to stay with the new owners and keep his pay. He had to move to FLODIA to do this. He quit.
    It all depends on your talent.
    The only people I see making alot of money with no education or little education are cops, firemen and city trash men. Even laywers are starting at 60K which sucks for having spent 8 years in college.......
    Also The docks just opened up., THEY MAKE A KILLING
    Firemen,Pleeeeeease.

Chris Winn
    Dave C has hit it right,
    sales can make a great deal of money, but that is only a good as lthe company backing the salesman and your enjoyment of it. oqning your oqn company is great, but you are seldom your own boss, what i mean by this is that everyone that you service is your employer and they often remind you of this.
    i have a small rep firm, and we rep offshore companies in to the US for the semiconductor industry. i work very long hours, and travel 2 weeks out of the month (including many of those trips being oversea's, and that is not fun after your 50th +trip back and forth)
    i do love what i do, but i know that i will need to grow my company further (i have 8 people right now) in order to reduce the amount of travel i have to do, and that cuts into my pockets untill they start to pay for themselves and make me money. i will not even start to decribe the cost of taxes and providing benifits to everyone, in this buisness you get to be chief, cook and bottle washer.
    i will not complain though, i make a resonable amount of money and own a nice house with little debt, but i have the stress of providing my own future without the support of another income (my wife is a teacher and this will be her last year teaching due to pregancy)
    best of luck to you...

surfer2001
    Why do all the kids look for money FIRST? You should figure out what you enjoy & go from there. You’ll find if you love what you do, you’ll be much happier in the long run. Human Resources is a good career, that pays well, and you get to help people and protect the company all at the same time. DON’T GET CAUGHT IN A JOB YOU HATE JUST BECAUSE IT PAYS WELL.

TCHB
    A buisness degree can help you in many ways as you gain experience in the corporate world. I have worked for large companies all my life and my advice is to get a graduate buisness or law degree it will help you the rest of your life. My wife is a RN and has always been able to work when and where she wants and also makes a good living. I am responsible for a large company with many complicated financial issues, contracts and trying to figure out growth plans which MBA skills help in all of these areas. We start our MBA employees out close to $100K. Good Luck!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast