Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dimarco info/history needed

Jet City
    I pick up my new (1976 model) Dimarco runner-bottom (7/8" I think) tomorrow and I'm itching to find out more about these boats. I did search the past v-drive threads, some details I found were that Sonny Dimarco evidently was the owner/founder, these boats look to be based off the Hondo drag flattie's. I didn't find a thing on the internet about Dimarco boats, I was curious about production numbers and any other history anyone might share about these.
    Scott

Dimarco21
    J.C.R., I've heard he is retired a living near Redding, CA. I met a guy at CFW fathers day event, who said he knows him and was going to get me in touch with him....haven't heard a thing. I would like to talk to him and show him my Dimarco.

LakesOnly
    J.C.R., I've heard he is retired a living near Redding, CA.
    Last I heard, Sonny De Marco lives in Redding and sells backhoes.
    I think an absurd legal deal forced him out of the boat business. Anyone got more detailed info on this?
    LO

77charger
    I am pretty sure the canyons are the old dimarco molds.

InKahntrol
    My dad used to own a 21' Dimarco, and he told me the story a few times, but this is third hand info so I'm not sure about it. From what I understand Sonny Dimarco and Arlen Kurtis were partners or friends and designed the Kurtis Kraft flatty together. They had some kind of falling out and parted ways, so Sonny either built another plug or struck a mold off a Kurtis, modified the rear deck and started making his own boats. The 21' Dimarco is a splash off a Spectra and is nearly identical to a Howard. In a wierd twist of fate, my dad bought a stage one hull from Dimarco and rigged it with help from Kurtis. Anyway, I could probably get more info if needed.
    Dan :lightsabe

Jet City
    Thanks for all the info, thats some interesting stuff. I also read Sonny was close with the Deaver boat folks, and the hull ID's used on Dimarco's were Deaver, it mentioned they started with DEV (I think), but the one I'm getting started with DMV.
    I'm collecting all the Dimarco picks I can get my hands on too, if anyone has some to share, please send my way. I've already ransacked the ***boat photo archives for all they were worth.
    Thanks Again,
    Scott

1Bahnerjet
    Jet City Rebel,
    if you go to Image Center, then looking in my Photo Gallery, I have 2-3 old Di Marco ads from the 70's (over 1000 pics, may take some time to find) Did you keep your Sleekcraft ?

Cowboy Bob
    According to the USCG website,
    DEV is the "Deaver" Code, Gene Deaver was the owner, listed as "out of business" in 1989.
    DMV is a code for Douglas Mc Intyre, a boat importer.
    DMB is the former code of a Ralph Di Marco in Sylmar, CA. The code was re-assigned to Dumas Boats, now out of business, they made 8' Dinghys.
    Hope that helps!

Kindsvater Flat
    Old 71 or so Dimarco at the drags this year. Kurtis500 helped them get it fired up.
    http://www.schoutenranch.com/redbluff/images/relic1.jpg
    http://www.schoutenranch.com/redbluff/images/relic3.jpg
    Its obvious that Kurtis500 doesn't look like part of there pit crew.
    http://www.schoutenranch.com/redbluff/images/relic5.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast