Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overly sensitive timing question???

Spotondl
    Gotta question on my initial timing... it seems to be overly sensitive... I start out at say 4* btdc and the engine will not fire at all... advance between 5* and 6* btdc and the engine fires but will not run, gets really close but will not hook up... advance to 7* or more and I get flame out the carb... WTF? Any idea's?

tbanzer
    How do you know what the timing is if its not even running? Advance it some more. it sounds way retarded.

Advance it to at least 10deg. I set mine at around 15 to 20 to get her fired.
    I set the motor at 20 deg btdc & set the msd dist. so it is just joing past the eye. Remember MSD fires when the sensor is past the eye.

Spotondl
    I was using the number of degrees only as an example... I line up the timing mark to my known 0 on the balancer/timing cover, then I line up the rotor to approx 1 on the distributor. Obviously an estimate... as far as the subsequent settings I have one of those Moroso timing mark deals on the distributor so I can see the number of degrees I move the dist...
    Will try to advance a lot more...

GofastRacer
    Rich, assuming your distributor is in "A one" shape and the curve has been setup, just fire it up and set your total the initial will be there, just forget about it and run it!..

ghittner
    Yes, set total and if you have issues with detonation or anything else, deal with it then. Get it runnin' and then deal with it.

ghittner
    Did you skip a tooth on the timing chain? Just a thought.

GofastRacer
    Did you skip a tooth on the timing chain? Just a thought.
    That would be cam timing, has nothing to do with ignition timing!..

502 JET
    Is it possible you have the distributor installed 180* out?Did you dead time the engine?If the distributor is off 180* you will not start and blow fire from the carb.If you are running a stock type dampner the outer ring can slip and throw offf your timing marks.Was this a running engine before or is this a new setup?

ghittner
    Cam or ignition have the exact same effect, it's about when it fires....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast