Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Bush take two.

HighRoller
    HighRoller, Let me get this straight. So when your in bed comfy cozy on Saturday night at 0200 and I'm at work maintaining a major banks data center so billions of dollars can be transacted daily. I shouldn't be getting OT? To that I say thank God I'm union. cause without the OT your money ain't goin nowhere. Lazy? only on my time!
    Chub, please do explain what entitles you to OT just because you work on a weekend or at night? NEWS FLASH! Millions of people do it every week. Ever heard of the night shift? Should everyone who doesn't work banker's hours get triple time? Should we throw in more sick time because you missed SNL this week doing what you get paid for?
    This is why I despise Unions. They make the common worker think he deserves a gold medal just for showing up at his job. And put out effort, or work past 5PM? HOLY CRAP! Stop the presses. For your information Chub, you'll get no sympathy from me for working at 0200. BooHoo, cry me a river. Been there, done that. The only difference is I didn't have some brain-dead Sopranos wanna-be extorting extra money from my company so he can justify sucking the life out of my paycheck and tell me when I can work and when I have to stay at home.

HighRoller
    I also have one more question. They mention that 6 million would "lose" OT pay. How many will "gain" it? Another half-truth from the Democrats at the AFL-CIO.

OGShocker
    If every employer was required to pay a livable minimum, the playing field would be level for all employers. I think you are making the assumption that businesses would somehow be prevented from passing those costs to the customer, but I never said that! A certain percentage of increase could be immediately expected from ALL businesses that were in segments previously serviced by subliving-wage employees. Any business that could not promote the percieved value of their product at the new pricing probably wouldn't make it!
    WTF is "livable? $50.00 an hour. You might be a good person but, your Ideas are just bad.

HighRoller
    I guess we as a society should coddle those working in low level jobs instead of them lifting themselves out of those jobs into well paying positions with benefits. Bill Gates was a success because we all agreed to buy his stuff and give him millions, not because he strived to educate himself and find a way to hone his skills to the point he could develop and innovate a groundbreaking product. Whatever. Wake up AZDon. Just because you dream of making 50 bucks an hour to drive a truck doesn't mean we sympathize with you. From an ex truck driver.

AzDon
    I'm not radically against any free-market approach to employment. If a living wage were established as law, nobody would hold a gun on a businessman and force him to hire "x" number of people or any at all! He would be free to decide if the position could be justified at the expected wage.... This is simply a human rights issue that would change the oversupply of willing help into a "qualifications" contest rather than "how cheap will you work?"
    I don't believe any job is economically justifiable if it can't pay a living wage. The proof of this is that a single mother working full time at minimum wage falls WAY below the income threshold to qualify for virtually every social program, meaning that her cheap-ass employer is subsidized by the taxpayers in providing for her and her child. Many argue that "those jobs are for for students that live at home". Oh really? Does that mean they discriminate against single mothers? And when they hire students, aren't they REALLY admitting that they expect the employer of another family member (of that student) to provide for the living costs of their employee that they are too cheap to provide?

Charley
    I don't believe any job is economically justifiable if it can't pay a living wage.
    That is utterly ridiculous....No it's actually ignorant..

Charley

steelcomp
    AzDon,
    You ever wonder why there's so many single mothers out there? What is it about the break down of our society that is allowing this to occur? Should we all pay the price for the majority of their bad decision making or plain lack of moral standards? That's a HUGE issue and one that costs each and every one of us every day. IMO it's the effect of the liberalisation of our society, and the mindset of the children it's producing.
    Hey, if it feels good, do it!!

steelcomp
    If a living wage were established as law, nobody would hold a gun on a businessman and force him to hire "x" number of people or any at all!
    What the hell are you talking about, man? Having a living wage law established would exactly be holding a gun on a business man!!! Do you have ANY idea how many small businesses would fold and what that would do to this country??
    You don't make sense!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast