Thread: What do I use to get oil out of carpet?????

Metal_King
    Hello again.
    I am currently cleaning the boat out from a trip 2 weeks ago and I had some engine problems.
    I took the boat up from Katherine's all the way to Hoover...a 120 mile round trip.
    Well, I lost quite a bit of oil...needless to say, there is a bad seal/gasket somewhere. I'm dealing with that tomorrow.
    But today, I opened the ski compartment and oil is soaked in the carpet.
    I tried castrol super clean, but that's not getting it done. I tried the foam carpet cleaner and that was useless.
    Anyone have a good cleaner to suggest?? I really don't want to go out to a boat shop, but if I have to I will. Can anyone suggest a cleaner/degreaser that the local major auto parts stores sell??
    Thanks
    Jason

gramps
    try a steam extraction carpet cleaner

Keithb87
    Take it to the carwash. Spray as much as you can into the bildge area. Let that drain through the drain hole. Whatever's left, use the Vaccum at the carwash to suck out.

AzDon
    Take it to the carwash. Spray as much as you can into the bildge area. Let that drain through the drain hole. Whatever's left, use the Vaccum at the carwash to suck out.
    Stubborn grease? WD40 then wash with Bissell Cleaner and HOT water...rinse completely and vac

AquaBoogie
    New carpet.

goneboatin
    Go to Home Depot and in the paint department there's some stuff called Motsenbockers' Lift Off. Use number 2, there's 4 different levels for different uses. Number 2 works on anything greasy. Spray it on, let it sit for about 5 minutes, then use a soapy solution and plenty of water to get it out. That should get 95% of the oil and grease out.

bigerich
    Have you tried using a basic can of Gunk?? I have used it several times to get grease out of all sorts of things, clothes, carpet, whatever.