Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stereo settings

phebus
    I know stereo settings are personal, but I am looking for starting points for an Alpine head unit. The speakers are two sets of 6X9's driven by an 800 watt amp, and a 12" woofer driven by a 1500 watt amp, and a set of 6.5's powered by the head unit 60W X 4
    What I need to know is where to start with the:
    Bass Control
    Bass Frequency can be set at: 60Hz-70Hz-80Hz-90Hz-100Hz-130Hz-150Hz-180Hz
    Band Width can be set at: Width 1-Width 2-Width 3-Width 4
    Treble Control
    Treble Frequency can be set at: 10.0kHz-12.5kHz-15.0kHz-17.5kHz
    High and Low Pass Filters
    High Pass Filter can be set at: FLAT(off)-80Hz-120Hz-160Hz
    Low Pass Filter can be set at: FLAT(off)-80Hz-120Hz-160Hz
    Any help would be appreciated, as I am clueless as where to start. (It's all Greek to me)
    Thanks,
    Rick

riverbound
    Bass Control
    Bass Frequency can be set at: 60Hz-70Hz-80Hz-90Hz-100Hz-130Hz-150Hz-180Hz
    Band Width can be set at: Width 1-Width 2-Width 3-Width 4
    I would start at 60hz and see how it sounds
    Treble Control
    Treble Frequency can be set at: 10.0kHz-12.5kHz-15.0kHz-17.5kHz
    I usually set it at 12.5
    High and Low Pass Filters
    High Pass Filter can be set at: FLAT(off)-80Hz-120Hz-160Hz
    Low Pass Filter can be set at: FLAT(off)-80Hz-120Hz-160Hz
    Hp set at 80
    Lp set at 80
    These should give you a good base to start at then you can tune from there for personal preference. make sure if you use the xovers in the deck you are not also using the ones on the amps. I would use the ones on the amp instead of the radio one. Good luck and if you have any more questions let me know.

phebus
    make sure if you use the xovers in the deck you are not also using the ones on the amps. I would use the ones on the amp instead of the radio one.
    What crossover's on the head unit are you talking about? Would that be the frequency settings or filters? And if I use the ones in the amp, what do I set the head unit to to defeat them?
    Thanks

riverbound
    Its an alpine head unit right? If so when you get into the menu that shows HP you can change the frequencies until it says either through or off. Same for the LP menu. It will be the filters. The frequency setting are where the adjustment takes place. for example if you set the highs at 12.5 when you turn the treble up, the affect will occur mostly at that freq. the width is how wide the slope will be (1 is very narrow and will affect fewer frequencies).

ROZ
    I agree with Bill. Turn off the headunit's eq off and go from there...

phebus
    Yes, on the head unit (radio) for the LP, and HP filters, there is a flat setting which is the same as off.
    On the 4 channel 800W amp, it says the variable crossovers for front and rear are variable from 50Hz-210Hz and can be set to HP (high pass), LP (low-pass), or Full.
    So, should I set them at 80 like you suggested I do the head unit? And should I set it to High Pass, Low Pass, or Full?
    On the Mono 1500W amp it says the crossover Frequency can be adjusted between 40-250Hz. The crossover is set to LP operation only.
    Now, how should I set the amps up, if I set the radio's Lp and HP filters off?
    Thanks again for all your help

riverbound
    same as you would the head unit start at 80 on both amps and go from there. depending on how and what you listen to you might have to bring your mids and highs to 120 (highest I would go) and drop your subs down to 60 (lowest I would go) tuning is mainly done by ear so grab a bunch of cds and play it like you will at the river, dont forget the bears, Good luck

phebus
    Thanks, and should I set it to High Pass, Low Pass, or Full?

riverbound
    Thanks, and should I set it to High Pass, Low Pass, or Full?
    For mids and highs you want to set your amp to high pass, which means it will only let the selected frquency and up to your speakers. Low pass will let the selected frequency and down to your speakers. and Full will let all frequencies through regardless of where the dial is set.

ROZ
    and don't forget the bears!
    "tuning is mainly done by ear so grab a bunch of cds and play it like you will at the river, dont forget the bears, Good luck"
    I suggest using the cd's you're most familiar with. To go a step further, make tune the music to the stereo as if were played through a very good set of headphones... They're known to be accurate... Then again, it's a boat...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast