Thread: Going from 3 blade to 4 blade prop,what to expect?

YOUNG
    I have a 99 BAJA Boss Hammer and am trying to get all the speed out of it I can with out doing anything to the motor(7.4mpi). The boat currently has a Mirage Plus 25P prop on it and I am thinking about having it lab finsihed or was considering going up to a 4 blade prop from my current 3 blade. Does any one have any experience with doing this and what can I expect as far a takeoff,planing, and top speed? The boat is running by the spedo with 60 gallons of fuel,4-6 people and coolers 67-69 in any type of water or temp.

HP350SC
    If you're looking for top speed I would lab the 25, as long as you have 200-300 rpm left.

phebus
    Generally speaking you will have better takeoff, quicker planing, smoother running, but lose a little on the top end. I would see if you could borrow a Bravo 1 4 blade or demo one and see if you like it before buying.

YOUNG
    I wish that I new of a place that I could demo a prop before spending the cheddar to get one. Do you know of any places that do that type of demo? I do have a couple hundred rpm left in my motor that I could lab finish my 25 if that is what will work. Thanks Bryan

Essex502
    I used the 3 blade Mirage Plus 23P on my hull with great success. When I moved to a 4 blade Bravo 1 24P I experienced better time to plane, better mid-range accelleration and a higher speed at 4,000 RPM. Unfortunately, I also experienced a LOT more porpoise at all speeds and a very loose feeling at the faster speeds. I never felt comfortable at WOT and don't know what I lost on the top end. Switched to a labbed 25P Mirage Plus and the results were fantastic. No porpoising better top end better 4K RPM speed but slower to plane.
    With the Bravo 1 prop, the boat wanted little to no trim. With the Mirage Plus the boat likes lots of trim and keeps accellerating the more trim I give it. Bury the throttle and as I give it trim it accellerates.
    Your hull will react differently to different style props. Diameters, pitch, blade shape, 3 versus 4 or 5 blades, etc....there are lots of variables. The best way to find out is to try different props and keep lots of records at various RPM ranges.

Essex502
    I have a 99 BAJA Boss Hammer and am trying to get all the speed out of it I can with out doing anything to the motor(7.4mpi). The boat currently has a Mirage Plus 25P prop on it and I am thinking about having it lab finsihed or was considering going up to a 4 blade prop from my current 3 blade. Does any one have any experience with doing this and what can I expect as far a takeoff,planing, and top speed? The boat is running by the spedo with 60 gallons of fuel,4-6 people and coolers 67-69 in any type of water or temp.
    One other point....you didn't mention at what RPM you're getting the 67-69 MPH...are you hitting the rev limiter? If you're in the proper RPM range for your motor you might not get much more out of a prop change. If you're bumping the limiter that going to a bigger prop and labbing that one might help.
    You might try calling York Propellors and talking with them. Or, Throttle Up in Florida. Both good sources for info.

YOUNG
    Thanks for the help. As of right now I am not hitting the rev limiter. I am turning it to 4600-4800 rpm. I think that I am going to have my current Mirage plus 25P lab finished and see what I can get. Thanks again for the help. Bryan

Essex502
    Thanks for the help. As of right now I am not hitting the rev limiter. I am turning it to 4600-4800 rpm. I think that I am going to have my current Mirage plus 25P lab finished and see what I can get. Thanks again for the help. Bryan
    You should pick up a couple of hundred RPM with the lab finish or blueprinting and that'll put you real close to bumping the rev limiter. Good luck.