Thread: Carb tuning Q's????????

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Ok I just put kits in my carbs. I finally set the floats. i hooked up a hand held guage and looked at my cranking pressure,its at 7psi. My idiling pressure is unreadable because the guage needle is bouncing from 4-8psi. When I hold the throttle at 2000 r's the pressure stays at a constant 7psi. I thought that 4-6psi is ideal. this is a stock federal mougal pump so its not a high pressure pump. i am feeing ual holley 600's. Also, I noticed that when I rev it a little bit the idle drops 200 rpms(from 800) real quick then resumes the normal 800 r's. When i ajusted the idle up a little bit that problem went away. is that normal or is something wrong? i am no carb expert so I am asking for a little advice.

hondajoey
    sounds like my tunnel ram when you just give it a bump of the throtle it wants to stall but when you give it a good bump on the throtle it doesnt i set my regulator at 8psi at idle seems to be working for my set up, two 660's

Ken F
    I could be wrong on this, but don't think so...
    I think the reason that you are dropping 200 rpm when you "blip" the throttle, is that you are loosing vacume signal in the tunnel ram, and at low rpm it takes just a second for the vacume to recover and start pulling fuel/air again. The ones I've had experience with will stall if you are running down the lake at a pretty good clip, and get out of the throttle suddenly also. You have to back out slowly to keep the engine running. However I've got limited experience in this area, maybe there is a way to tune this out of a tunnel ram, I'm not sure.
    On your fuel pressure, you are fine at idle. Where you really need to check it is at WOT, to make sure you maintian it on the big end.
    Ken F

Wally_Gator
    Have a brave friend check the gauge at WOT...
    Tuning the Gator Boat this weekend and on my gauge.
    We hit 4200 rpm and watch the fuel pressure blip between 0 and 4 psi...
    Can you say starving fuel bowls on my holly 850 dp?
    Off to Summit to buy a new fuel pump.
    No I am not going to buy a holly... LOL!
    I have heard enough thoughts and opinions as well as seeing one go through
    the Avi parking lot like a football..

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I have 7 psi at wot.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    bump, anyone else????
    Where the hell is everyone????? The boars are DEAD lately!!!!!!!!