Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: TPC "Sneak Previews"

78Eliminator
    RiverDave:
    Flood your engine out?
    RD It's a phenomenon that occurs when you have carbs with floats that are not air tight. They fill with fuel, sink and never close the needle/seat valves, then the fuel bowls overflow, then raw fuel pukes right into your engine and floods the motor. This was my problem before the TPC rebuild, and wouldn't you know it, it was the same problem after I spent $1500.00 to have TPC rebuild them.
    [ March 24, 2003, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: 78Eliminator ]

MsHotCrusader
    Man you guys are really bored....

78Eliminator
    RiverDave:
    His Carbs sure look bitchen, but being that I know very little about Carbs, I was assuming that the looks reflected pride in workmanship and as naive as it sounds I just assumed everything else was bitchen as well.
    RD Yes, they are the coolest looking carbs I have ever seen. They did not work when I received them, however, and I never received a refund for having to rebuild them myself again once received.
    He used the same floats that were already in the carbs before the rebuild. The leaky floats were what caused me all my issues in the first place (even the engine fire). When I got the $1500 carbs back, they had the same issues (same original bad floats) and could have caused another engine fire. Originally I just wanted them rebuilt, but I was talked into billet base plates, metering blocks, chrome fuel bowls, etc. I thought that replacing everything would yield a product that would give me trouble free operation. Instead, I was chasing down demons for just about the entire boating season. I have a huge list of other things that were wrong, but I think Ty might have learned a lot from his experiences from me (at my expense). I don't think Ty is a bad guy at all. He's nice, will talk your ear off and might have evolved, but I don't think I was treated fairly. I threw away my main bodies that he redid and have carbs that I have built from the ground up myself. I believe I was one of Ty's first clients and I had very high expectations, so when I had to redo all of his work, I was very disappointed. Since then, I have read two holley books, bought air/fuel meters, specialized carb tools and feel pretty good about my own abilities. I just wish I would have gone that route from the start.

superV
    eek! Sounds like Ty has some PR to do! wink

Blown 472
    Send your carb to the carb shop, it is in so cal and they do a damn nice job, not all shiney and shit they just work, I had an 850 that was in the back of a truck and the throttle blades were stuck, they went thru it and it ran great, as a matter of fact I still have it along with another on my blown motor.

78Eliminator
    RiverDave:
    but I was under the impression that it was a fuel pump issue that Froggy fixed and it worked afterwards.
    RD You are dead wrong. What happened is I took the boat to Froggy, as he is always up to the challenge. Step one, in his eyes, was to pressurize the fuel system and see what kind of pressure was hitting the needle/seat valves. They were getting 9 lbs. so he decided to turn down the pressure to 7 lbs to be on the safe side. When he adjusted the pressure, the regulater came apart and would no longer hold pressure. I sent the regulator to BG Fuel, they rebuilt it, and when I put it back on and set it to 7 lbs, the carbs still flooded....

Blown 472
    Thats cool, to me it is a waste of money, I am not into shiney stuff, no crome, polished nothing, too much work and it dont make it go any faster.

78Eliminator
    Blown 472:
    Thats cool, to me it is a waste of money, I am not into shiney stuff, no crome, polished nothing, too much work and it dont make it go any faster. I agree. I wouln't even use AN fittings if they weren't so easy to use.....
    With them, I can yank the engine in 15 minutes...

Blown 472
    case in point.

78Eliminator
    You know you're dead on serious if all your hardware is satin instead of polished. Satin dissipates heat more efficiently.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast