Thread: Old Rigger

Cas42
    I was wondering if you remember the different model names for the Tahiti's?
    I was asked the question and can only remember the Tiger, Super Tiger and the Super Cruiser, only cuz I owned each of those. I'm thinking there was a Bubble Tiger and Cruiser but just can't remember.
    As mentioned before, thanks for all the great info from the wonder years.

flat broke
    Old rigger,
    While everyone else is pickin your brain, I figure I might be able to use a little insight. I was wondering what you know about Dana boats? I have a 21' double bump day cruiser that I am building and would love any information you might have on the company and other models.
    Thanks in advance,
    Chris

Cas42,
    No I don't remember any of the names except for the Tiger and only that one because of the sheer number of them that were built . This was a really big seller. Hell, I can't even think of what the little 16 footer was called, (I think it was really called 'the little 16'). I guess because we always referred to the boats as 'the little 16' or 'the new bubbledeck' or whatever was the case. Sorry, those names were aimed at the buyers and only a few stuck in my mind.
    Do you remember Regatta boats? They were built in Downey, Ca. and they had a little 15 footer that was just a little sliver of a thing but it was real fast for a little outboard. Remember I'm talking 1966 fast, not 2001 fast. Big difference. If you had one of those and a tower of power merc clampped to it, you had a quick little boat, 2 of my dads friends had them and loved them, thought they were great. I was only 9 or 10 at that time and can still remember riding in those 2 boats and what a completly different feel it was compared to the little 16 Tahiti.
    Anyway, they were very popular and were being splashed by a few guys and Schuster decided to splash the thing. He called it 'Splash-craft'. I don't think he sold a lot of them but there are some out there.
    Stuff like that helps to make it easy to remember the name of a certain hull.
    Maybe someone has some old Tahiti sales stuff that they could post, Id like to see it too.
    Flat broke , great name . Used to be a bunch of flatties and probably still are, running around with that name. No I don't know any thing about Dana boats. Another Orange county guy I think. If he was the same guy that made his own line of billet hardware for boats, then I knew him that way when I was at Warlock. They used that Dana line of stuff, gauge bezels, grab handles, ect. I was going to say I remember him from when I was at Advantage but Harry had a thing about buying a product from someone who also built his own line of boats, he wouldn't do it. We used Action ind. stuff. Of course this created a big problem for us when Hardin acquired Berkley pumps.

flat broke
    Thanks for the info Oldrigger. I was curious if the hardware Dana was the same as the Hull manufacturer. At least now I know where I can call to start asking questions.
    Take care,
    Chris

skijake
    I believe Dana Boats where built in either Garden Grove or Westminister.
    Dana Marine Products is going strong on Smith Street in Corona.