Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why does the front end make noise?

Budget Baller
    22" wheels on a 2004 Chevy Suburban. Front end makes a creaking sound every time I turn. Anyone know what I need to do to make this noise go away? Thanks.
    PS - Classic Chevrolet in Anahiem said, "Just put your stock wheels back on and the sound will go away". What a dip shit!

Sleek-Jet
    22" wheels on a 2004 Chevy Suburban. Front end makes a creaking sound every time I turn. Anyone know what I need to do to make this noise go away? Thanks.
    PS - Classic Chevrolet in Anahiem said, "Just put your stock wheels back on and the sound will go away". What a dip shit!
    Any time you turn the wheel, or just when you make sharper turns, like in a parking lot, or pulling out on the street??
    4 wheel drive or 2 wheel drive??

Budget Baller
    It started out when it was just a sharp turn, but now it has 10K miles on it, and it is pretty much any turn you make, you can hear it creaking, so it seems to be getting worse. It is very noticeable when you are pulling in or out of a parking space and the driveway.

100mbs
    I would check the steering stops. Sometimes they have poly stops that maybe have fallen off or worn out. It might be rubbing metal to metal.
    Turn the wheels all the way in oen direction and then look underneath to see what is rubbing. if it is metal that is rubbing smear some grease on it and then do the same to the other side and see if the noise goes away.

Budget Baller
    I will try it, thanks. Will report the progress tomorrow.

100mbs
    Cool! let me know.

Kachina26
    When you put different offset wheels on the truck, you change the geometry of the front end and the way it handles the weight. That being said, there is probably more than one lazy lube guy out there that hasn't lubed the front end the way it is supposed to be. Have someone lube the balljoints, watch them if you have to. Then go out and work the front end a bit. I have "fixed" more than one of these just by doing a little maintenance
    If all else fails you may want to try putting the stockers on there (if you have them) just to be sure it's not a wheel issue. But I bet the lube job fixes it. :hammer2:

Mandelon
    I heard that if the wheels are too wide it puts more, or changes the angle of, the pressure on the ball joints and can F them up...........

Jrocket
    Torsion bars squeeking?

Lightning
    There is a total of about 11 fitings under the truck that need to be greased. They do not always come fully lubed from the factory. Here is some info from a truck site that I hang on ocassionally.
    "Make sure you lubed all 11 grease points. Particularly the two Idler arms and the Pittman arm they are hard to see and harder to get the grease fitting on. The Pitman arm is high and in cramped space and it also has the AC hose in the way. I am going to get a 90 degree fitting for the next time. The first time I lubed, I found that the factory had hardly put any grease in most of the fittings. There was a lot on the outside though... They must have not gotten the fitting on right when they greased it.
    The 11 fittings:
    2 - Upper ball joints
    2 - Lower ball joints
    2 - Outer tie rod ends
    2 - Inner tie rod ends
    2 - Idler arm (one on top and one on the ball joint)
    1 - Pittman arm
    It is easy to miss the Pitman arm and the two on the idler arm assemblies. Their tucked up high and hard to see."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast