Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prop Shaft question

78DiMarco
    How much play (if any) between the strut and the shaft is acceptable? I was checking my boat and it has a little slop.
    Thanks!

lucky
    if it moves need to replace ...

about 10 thou or less is normal new (after wear in). gets bigger from there. I've seen boats run a long time with that clearance. But if anything is outta balance it can tear em up quick and enlarge the clearance. So can extremely sandy conditions. even if your clearance is more that that it doesn't necessarily mean it needs to be changed. Depends on how fast it's getting worse. Every boat's a little different. I've run with .050 or so clearance for a long time without issue on some boats. Other boats that .050 will turn into .100 in a day.
    Hows that for a vague answer. :messedup:

ACCEPTENCE
    about 10 thou or less is normal new (after wear in). gets bigger from there. I've seen boats run a long time with that clearance. But if anything is outta balance it can tear em up quick and enlarge the clearance. So can extremely sandy conditions. even if your clearance is more that that it doesn't necessarily mean it needs to be changed. Depends on how fast it's getting worse. Every boat's a little different. I've run with .050 or so clearance for a long time without issue on some boats. Other boats that .050 will turn into .100 in a day.
    Hows that for a vague answer. :messedup:
    I had one of those other boats that turned .050 into .125 in less then a weekend.
    Spent the coin for a new propeller and that fixed the problem right up.
    Prop slop can be very dangerous ya know, fix it!!!!

bocco
    Since I noticed a little extra clearance myself the other day day can I hijack this thread into a discussion on how to change the bushing and which type is the best replacement?
    I'm a rooky at this but it looks like I have to remove my rudder to get the prop shaft out. How is the bushing then removed?
    Thanks
    Gary

Tom Foolery
    I've only done it once so take my advice with a grain of salt.
    I used a blade from a hacksaw and cut through the bearing. Once the cut was made I was able to slide the bearing out. It may take some taping from the other side with a screwdriver.
    To put a new bearing in in I used a piece of allthread rod with a washer & nut on each end. Leave a nut & washer on one side and remove it from the other, then place the all thread through the strut and bushing you are trying to put in. Put the last nut & washer on the other side and get out your ratchet.
    Someone else may have a better way but this worked for me.
    Also, they come in 4" lenghts so you cut it in half and put two inches in each end. Even though they do not touch they should line up like before you cut it.

Highlimit9000
    Well said. Good Advise!

Jet City
    Thanks Rex and Tom, I'm new to this whole prop deal so this is helpful. I had checked this on mine and had no idea what was tolerable, have to break out the travel dial to know for sure, but thanks again for answering my question before I asked.

bocco
    Tom Foolery, thanks for info. It doesn't sound difficult to change.
    Does anybody have opinions on the different types of bushings or where to get them from?

superdave013
    Tom Foolery, thanks for info. It doesn't sound difficult to change.
    Does anybody have opinions on the different types of bushings or where to get them from?
    The cheep ones from REX. They are a fiber type of deal. donno the real name.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast