Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: machine shop

dtr352
    I am looking for a machine shop in the Valencia California area that will do good work at a fair price. I need block heads crank rods and pistons all tested for cracks and wear. The block needs to be honed and everything cleaned up. If anyone knows someone that could do the work please let me know. How much does this usually cost. This is my first complete rebuild so I would like an idea of cost before I get into it. Thanks for any help you can offer.

GofastRacer
    Moneypitt has a shop up that way somewhere that he uses, supposedly they do good work but he's out of town on business. Get a hold of E-Ticket, he should be able to tell you who it is!..

dtr352
    It doesn't have to be in Valencia but I don't want to drive too far.

don johnson
    I believe that Teague Custom Marine in Valencia will perform machine work.

superdave013
    do yourself a favor and re-think that. Go for a GREAT machine shop and be HAPPY to pay any extra. Some (most) shops mainly do high volume auto stuff and won't take anytime on your peice. They can take
    your useable parts and turn them into trash! I learned that the hard way.
    PM Looking for Liquid, Dan's up kinda your way and can steer you in the right direction.

Sleek-Jet
    do yourself a favor and re-think that. Go for a GREAT machine shop and be HAPPY to pay any extra. Some (most) shops mainly do high volume auto stuff and won't take anytime on your peice. They can take
    your useable parts and turn them into trash! I learned that the hard way.
    PM Looking for Liquid, Dan's up kinda your way and can steer you in the right direction.
    I second that.
    I'm done with second rate or discount machine shops, whatever you save in up front costs you're going to make up for fixing/replacing all the stuff they focked up.

dtr352
    good point about second rate work. I will give Teague a call. I was just hoping for a ballpark figure so I am not totally ignorant going in.

PHOTOGLOU
    good point about second rate work. I will give Teague a call. I was just hoping for a ballpark figure so I am not totally ignorant going in.
    My understanding is that Teague does not have a in house machine shop. Paul Pfaff racing engines has all the machine shop stuff done in house and can mag test block, rods and your crank this runs me about $100. At least call and compare prices seems to me like turnaround time would be better under 1 roof. And make sure to get your prices in writing from Teague, He has a tendency to charge more after the work is done and ready to be picked up. Pfaff's # is 714 894 7573. Had several motors built by them and have never once been upset with prices or completion dates. Jay

dtr352
    thanks for the advice. I went to teague and found out they don't really do a lot of machine work. They did however recomend a guy a block over named Jim Grubbs. Probably spelled the name wrong. Anyway I talked to a few costumers of his and they all seemed pleased. I am taking my stuff in friday. I will let you know what I think.

InKahntrol
    I was about to tell you to go see Jim Grubbs. He did all the machine work on my twin turbo 496, and I'm very happy. He's a nice guy, very fair and totally obsessed with doing things the right way the first time. Good choice.
    Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast