Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Filling gauge holes and smoothing dashes

Lightning
    So where's the after pics with the gauges installed? Nice job by the way.

marty722
    I have 3 small holes from the gas pedal that the last owner drilled through the fiberglass bottom. I want to fill those holes. Does not have to be perfect I just don;t want it to leak. What is the best way to do this without much time and money.... I would like to take the bolts out and fill the hole with something that would prevent it from leaking. Is there anything like that besides silicone? Thanks
    PS I have never worked with fiberglass before so please understand that. Thanks

BrendellaJet
    Marty, look how in the first pic he feathered away form the gauge holes. You want to do that around each of your holes(preferably from the outside), maybe 2 inches total diameter(hole in the middle) and about an 1/8 inch or 3/16 deep. Next Id take some fiberglass mat and wet it out, an d put 4-6 ounces of mat over the hole. Let it dry and then block sand. You will want to brush or spray some matching gel over the repair when done. That process has worked well for me.
    Or, you could countersink the holes(from the outside) and put some bolts through the holes and use silicone too.
    If it were me Id go the first route.

lucky
    I filled my the same way , except i beveled the the holes and the plugs so i could fill with glass ( tore apart glass and mixed with resin - did this with hopes that i would not get any cracks around the fix !

cobalt222
    i would have used marine tex.its a lot stronger and gets harder like wood.works great for hole filling.and when u get ready to drill new holes u can cut over the repair and not worry about it cracking around the repair.what u did will work fine but glass tinds to srink over time leaving aring around ur work...good luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12