Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SaltWater GOOD or Bad???

NOTALENT
    You always hear people say dont take it in salt water...It screws up your boat...Kachina ken on another thread says..there old wives tales...damn it whats the truth???

Havasu Hangin'
    Just wash it off right after...your boat won't know the difference.

Quality Time
    Builders build boats for all water conditions including salt. Merc (if that's your choice of power) spends a ton of R & D money on corrosion protection. The boats and motors are made to handle it. The only other concern is the trailer, but if you rinse after you dip, you should not have any problems. Also, as stated above, wash, flush and enjoy a whole new experience in boating

KACHINA KEN
    Trailers are the most prone to corrosion unless they are galvenizied or aluminum, the truth is that steel box tube used to make the trailers is not treated by any manufacturer I know to be dunked in the salty stuff. They paint it and send it out the door so in all reality even if you have never dunked in salt your trailer is still rusting on the inside of your tubes anyhow. All trailer have drain holes in the tube, thats how water gets in there. Don't worry buddy, I wouldn't make up some stuff just to make you come out to an awesome island paradise.

andy01
    I used to run my 22' Scarab in the salt and didn't show any wear at all. Just the trailer showed. If you don't clean it right away you can see it start to rust little things on the boat and then the boat will show it after time. Just take it home and give it a good bath and you won't know the difference. Nothing more fun then running the ocean.
    Andy

KACHINA KEN
    Nothing more fun then running the ocean.
    Andy
    word.......

BarryMac
    good for the skin, bad for the boat...
    gjb

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
    Once you go salt you will always go back :jawdrop:

v-drive
    Trailers eat it but a boat is fine as long as you clean the boat immediately.
    v-drive

Lightning
    Trailers are the most prone to corrosion unless they are galvenizied or aluminum, the truth is that steel box tube used to make the trailers is not treated by any manufacturer I know to be dunked in the salty stuff. They paint it and send it out the door so in all reality even if you have never dunked in salt your trailer is still rusting on the inside of your tubes anyhow. All trailer have drain holes in the tube, thats how water gets in there. Don't worry buddy, I wouldn't make up some stuff just to make you come out to an awesome island paradise.
    This is true, if you pull one of the trailer lights and take a look inside, you will see some rust - the salt will make it occur faster, that's all. Most people don't keep their boats long enough for it matter anyhow.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast