Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NCAA denies Williams..........

Havasu_Dreamin
    Commentary: Don't necessarily know if this is the right thing or not. But since when did the NCAA make any sense? It really is not his fault that he did what he did. He based his decision on a lower courts ruling.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1868537
    Thursday, August 26, 2004
    ESPN.com news services
    USC wide receiver Mike Williams told ESPN The Magazine's Bruce Feldman Thursday that the NCAA has refused his request for reinstatement.
    When asked about his initial reaction to the rejection, Williams first said he is thankful to have a resolution. He added he felt bad for all the people who went through the long and complicated reinstatement process and for the people who supported him, including USC coach Pete Carroll.
    Williams, who said he will work out with USC strength coach Chris Carlisle while attending classes for the next four months, will be eligible for the 2005 draft. He will be them minimum three years removed from high school.
    The USC team was en route Thursday to the East Coast for Saturday night's game against Virginia Tech.

summerlove
    total BS....

THOR
    It is not BS, he made himself available to the draft after he flunked out of school. Yes, he flunked. Maybe if you gave two $hits about the cushy classes then he wouldnt be in this situation to begin with. I dont feel too sorry since he will be an instant millionaire next year anyway.

eliminatedsprinter
    The NCAA is as screwed up as a football bat. They are still living in the early 20th century when professional athletics were thought by the snooty elite to be boorish and low class. Can you imagine any other field besides sports, where a bunch of dunderheaded psudo-intellectuals would severly limit students from contacting or contracting with employers?????It is totally absurd.

Thor I agree with you it isn't bullshit but his academic failure has nothing to do with why he is not eligible to play. Last year the NCAA changed elgibilty rules to include a clause that states: a player that wishes to play fall football must have been enrolled as a full time student in the previous two fal and spring semesters. Summer school would no longer be counted as a replacement semester for the previous fall and spring semesters. How ever if a full time student used the summer to enhance his gpa that was otherwise low which resulted in the student being on academic probation...that would be ok. Provided he was enrolled fulltime in the previous two semesters.
    The problem with Williams was when Maurice Claret won his initial court case, that was eventually reversed, he(Williams) quit school! What he was asking the NCAA to do was change its brand new policy and let paly even though he was not enrolled in the previous fall and Spring semesters and allow him as before the new rule change to let his summer school work stand as a replacement semester for the spring semester he quit in.
    The majority of freshman and sophmore starters at this level at once are on academic probation and use the summer to get their gpa's up. Williams was no different. His problem was he dropped out of the spring semester. he should have stayed in school last spring even if his grades were down and then he could have used the summer to raise his gpa.........but with bad advice he really thought he'd be in the NFL.
    Well to bad for Mike Williams and thats good news for everybody that plays us.
    What it really means is that instead of scoring 38 points average against our opponents we will only score 31 points avwerage per game....still high enough for us to be National Champs again!

JetBoatRich
    He made the decision that he wanted to go to the NFL and pretty much gave up on school thinking millions is around the corner. Blame Williams, not THE NCAA.
    The NFL, did not draft him, maybe next year so now he wants to go back and try to win a national championship :eat:

eliminatedsprinter
    He made the decision that he wanted to go to the NFL and pretty much gave up on school thinking millions is around the corner. Blame Williams, not THE NCAA.
    The NFL, did not draft him, maybe next year so now he wants to go back and try to win a national championship :eat:
    My comment was directed at the NCAA for their horrific policy of making sports the only profession that can't start working with future employers while they are students. Why shouldn't an athelete with good grades etc be drafted and then sign with and accept a bonus from a team etc before he finishes in college. I'm not saying it would be commen practice, but if a guy want to play college ball, but would like to have the security of already having a pro contract signed, what business is it of the NCAA?

totenhosen
    but if a guy want to play college ball, but would like to have the security of already having a pro contract signed, what business is it of the NCAA?
    that is what insurance policies are for. All the top guys have them.

eliminatedsprinter
    that is what insurance policies are for. All the top guys have them.
    I know they do and that is stupid. Do business majors have to pay for career insurance? Does some busibody get to tell them what companies they can talk to or work for, while they go to school. As long as a college athlete has not used his 4 years (or the 5 he has to complete them from the first) and is legitimatly enrolled in and passing his or her classes, what buisiness is it of the NCAA who they are meeting with or getting money from??? It pisses me off when ever busibody elitists think they have the right to tell adults what they can do with their private time..
    I can see it now. "Son we are kicking you out of the buisiness program, because you had a meeting with a headhunter from GM".....

totenhosen
    I know they do and that is stupid. Do business majors have to pay for career insurance? Does some busibody get to tell them what companies they can talk to or work for, while they go to school. As long as a college athlete has not used his 4 years (or the 5 he has to complete them from the first) and is legitimatly enrolled in and passing his or her classes, what buisiness is it of the NCAA who they are meeting with or getting money from??? It pisses me off when ever busibody elitists think they have the right to tell adults what they can do with their private time..
    I can see it now. "Son we are kicking you out of the buisiness program, because you had a meeting with a headhunter from GM".....
    Their purpose is to protect college athletes from agent types and people looking to make money or worse yet rip them off. But sometimes their goal of helping these guys actually hurts them. If I had more time I could give you plently of stories from my college b-ball days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast