Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noise Violations in Northern California

diggler
    Well, they've been really cracking down up here in the Delta. The sheriff regularly maintains a presence at the gas docks in Buckley Cove, Stockton. they wait around in the afternoon, and then pull everyone in to do a "safety check" and then a sobriety test.
    I had passed all of these tests without a problem. However, they felt the need to cite me for OT headers without baffles, and then claimed I was doing 12mph in the 5mph no-wake zone. Total penalty: $481.25
    Well, here's the results of the court date today. I put baffles in and had the Coast Guard sign off. This dropped the ticket penalty from $481.25 to $327.50
    I was going to contest the speed violation, but the judge stated that (no lie) "We reduce this charge from a misdemeanor to an infraction. The penalty for an infraction is $100 if you plead guilty now".
    Well, of course I pled guilty. I didn't have any more time for court so I paid the $100 instead of $481.25
    Hooray for me!!!

572Daytona
    Do they actually have speed limits in no wake zones? I thought no wake meant just that, no set speed just no wake. Is there such a thing as a boat speedo that will read accurately at 5mph? I've never seen one.

diggler
    Do they actually have speed limits in no wake zones? I thought no wake meant just that, no set speed just no wake. Is there such a thing as a boat speedo that will read accurately at 5mph? I've never seen one.
    No speed limits unless it states specifically so. One fell I know beat a no-wake ticket even though he was going 40mph. He had a Skeeter that leaves next to no wake when it's on plane.

GlastronGuy
    No wake...
    I just look behind me to see if I am making a wake. It's usually 1100 RPM, no idea on the speed. Most no wakes are marked 5 MPH.

Dr. Eagle
    No speed limits unless it states specifically so. One fell I know beat a no-wake ticket even though he was going 40mph. He had a Skeeter that leaves next to no wake when it's on plane.
    Some of the No Wake zones I have seen in the Delta have both 5 Mph and No Wake somewhere (usually on a sign on the levee). Most floating buoys I have seen just have 5Mph on them. Sucks they are getting so NAZI about it.. my Eliminator would have earned me the same honor of a visit to the judge I am sure.

HCS
    Don't ya just love it. The cops finally found their new source of revenue.
    If they want to bust the drunks, so be it, bust em.
    But now they give everyone a complete shake down so they can bring in $$$$
    for their department. They figured out if they site everyone for everything
    they can, they can line their pockets. I'd sure like to know when this becomes harassment. I think they should have to have probable cause to shake your boat down. Of course I'm sure they could make up some excuse for searching your boat any time they want.
    Just like in your case. :hammer2:

diggler
    Don't ya just love it. The cops finally found their new source of revenue.
    If they want to bust the drunks, so be it, bust em.
    But now they give everyone a complete shake down so they can bring in $$$$
    for their department. They figured out if they site everyone for everything
    they can, they can line their pockets. I'd sure like to know when this becomes harassment. I think they should have to have probable cause to shake your boat down. Of course I'm sure they could make up some excuse for searching your boat any time they want.
    Just like in your case. :hammer2:
    You know, I didn't bitch about it, because I didn't want to seem like a complainer. However, there are more and more folks getting cited on their boats, and also in their cars in San Joaquin county. I even talked to the gas station attendent in Lathrop that was telling me that the cops hang out at her gas station to issue citations for those that take off their seatbelt before a full stop at the gas pumps. I guess they got five people in the course of an hour.
    I don't live in San Joaquin county, but I know that a lot of the population there can't afford a ticket, let alone toilet paper. It "appears" that more and more boaters are targeted. Maybe because they have a greater source of income?? All speculation, but the fact is, the funds for these public services are cut, and these public entities are hurting.

Extreme Liquid
    What sucks is they can at any time inspect your boat under the ruse of "safety". It is a shame, but we boaters are good targets.
    I was inspected at Cottonwood and sited $150.00 for not having a square cushion with handles. Total cost to buy was $12.00 at Cottonwood.

LakeRacer
    You know, I didn't bitch about it, because I didn't want to seem like a complainer. However, there are more and more folks getting cited on their boats, and also in their cars in San Joaquin county. I even talked to the gas station attendent in Lathrop that was telling me that the cops hang out at her gas station to issue citations for those that take off their seatbelt before a full stop at the gas pumps. I guess they got five people in the course of an hour.
    I don't live in San Joaquin county, but I know that a lot of the population there can't afford a ticket, let alone toilet paper. It "appears" that more and more boaters are targeted. Maybe because they have a greater source of income?? All speculation, but the fact is, the funds for these public services are cut, and these public entities are hurting.
    Straight from the ABC's of California Boating Law:
    SPEED
    Speed is limited by law for certain conditions and areas. The maximum speed
    for motorboats within 100 feet of a bather (but not a water skier) and within
    200 feet of a bathing beach, swimming float, diving platform or life line,
    passenger landing being used, or landing where boats are tied up is five miles
    per hour.
    A safe speed should be maintained at all times so that: a) action can be taken
    to avoid collision and b) the boat can stop within a distance appropriate to the
    prevailing circumstances and conditions.
    In restricted visibility, motorboats should have the engines ready for immediate
    maneuvering. An operator should be prepared to stop the vessel within
    the space of half the distance of forward visibility.
    I suppose the "landing where boats are tied up is five mile per hour" means that the fuel dock was fair game...not to mention the entire marina if thats where the fuel dock was.
    As for the LE making tons of money on tickets think about how much it costs for the LE boat, the LE officer, the gas, the court appearance by LE, the Judge etc and add it all up. Did the $100 fine pay for it all? I don't think so. If they needed money that badly they wouldn't be reducing fines so easily.

HCS
    I totally agree. They call it a safety check and shake you down. A buddy of
    mine is from England so obviously he has an english accent. They checked him
    for his green card! :jawdrop:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast