Thread: old gas in tanks how to clean?

wet77
    The eliminator I bought has been sitting for a good 15+ years and the gas I pumped out of the two stainless tanks was orange in color :frown:
    I am concerned about the gas that might be left in there, because I am putting a new 540 Dart motor in the boat and want clean tanks
    Now what can I do without having to remove the tanks??
    I was thinking circulating some gas and heat (water remover) through the tanks with filters attached??
    Ideas anyone

ORSpectra20
    I just bought a Spectra 20 that has been sitting for years. I have Fiberglass tanks and need to do the same thing. Any differences in this type of material and the process?

copperrat20
    When I bought the sanger that I am building now it had been sitting for or so years. It has dual aluminum tanks. A single line comes off of each tank and they meet at a T. Then the T goes up to the mechanical fuel pump and then from there straight up to the carbs. So what I did was unhook the line from the tanks. Then I unhooked the line from the carbs. I siphoned the gas out of the tanks, cranked the motor over to empty all of the gas out of the pump and the lines leading up to the carbs, and then unscrewed the bowls off of the carbs to empty them. Then I put the lines all back on and the bowls back on then I just filled the tanks with 130 octane, since that is what I had in the drum, and then turned the key. It took maybe 15 seconds and wham, she fired right up. I didn't flush the tanks out and make sure they were spotless before I refilled them and ran it. I figured that the new gas would dilute whatever was left in there. And it did. Good luck. :eat:

v-drive
    Mine were pretty bad in the bottom and I tried several strong agents to break it up to no avail. I finally put a piece of chain in the bottom and moved it around and everything came out. It was that easy.
    :coffeycup v-drive

wet77
    The tanks I have in the eliminator have baffles in them and I can only see about 6 inches either way of the gas fill hole :boxingguy
    Anyone know of a good cleaner to clean them out with

DansBlown73Nordic
    I would use Muriatic acid on the stainless ones. It will clean everything. Just use caution as the stuff has some kinda nasty fumes..... :skull: