Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: powerglide shorty

david_396
    How does one go about making a powerglide shorty (removing the tailshaft) trans. I have seen the part that goes on after the tailshaft is removed, but what is done internally to the trans after the tail shaft is removed :messedup: . thanxs david.

Back Forty
    Do a general search on "powerglide shorty kit"
    Tons of info.
    Heres the first link I came up with.
    http://www.eastcoasttransmissions.com/ect/hardparts.htm

david_396
    cool info, so the trans has to come apart. I figured it wasn't just a bolt in thing. Any one have a complete Marine short tail shaft for sale. :idea: One more question , if I leave the trans with the stock tailshaft could i just use the rear trans mount to support the motor/trans instead of a motor plate that would be used
    with shorty trans. thanxs again

DansBlown73Nordic
    In my Schiada I have a regular 400 Trans. with the complete tail shaft. It is mounted to a rear mount. In the front they used a motor plate.
    If it was me Id use a 350 or a 400. It will give you second gear for going around a dock. Plus you can use park and get rid of your Anchor.....

david_396
    Just a thought, has anyone used a built overdrive trans, 480lE, 200/700r trans. in a boat.

Spotondl
    I run a 396/Powerglide combo and RARELY use 1st gear... only when I am idleing out in a no wake zone and want to keep up some revs... Also, I only use manual shifting... Forget plumbing all that vacume crap.... Powerglides have park and reverse too....
    Not too sure how good Park is for keeping your boat anchored, but I sure do appreciate it when I am pulling my prop... Besides, in order to get my Powerglide into Park, I have to pull apart my linkage... LOL
    It is mounted by the tailcone and a motorplate at the front. May add a mid brace but haven't needed it really. My tailcone mount threads did strip out so now I through bolt them.

david_396
    looks like I'm going to go with a standard trans, without the shorty kit. Found a good deal on a spline drive that was used without a motor plate. I guess if a motor plate is used a different spline drive is used to compensate for the added thickness??? Will use the existing trans mount. How hard is it to put in a manual valve body. thanxs again for the replies david
    update:
    just read the post about flexplates posted by Cole Sanger and maybe the motor plate could still be an option using this http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommer...504&prmenbr=361

I guess if a motor plate is used a different spline drive is used to compensate for the added thickness???
    Normally the Art Carr (and similar) spline drives are just supplied with a spacer that slides on it corresponding in thickness to the motor plate being used. Spline drive length itself remains constant.

Flatbroke 1
    David 396, I am running a 427 with a Powerglide also. As Dans66stevens said a 350 would be nice, I am going to change this winter. The powerglide first gear is to low and the proper gear ratio is spendy to say the least. The PG is stronger if you need it, you just need to increase idle speed to nearly 1K rpms for 5MPH zones. I run front and rear engine plates with another mount on the trans to keep the bell housing from cracking. You will need the longer trans alignment dowels if you do it that way. I bought mine from Summit Racing, about 10 bucks I think. I also used a torque convertor eliminator, it gives you a little leeway for alignment since you still connect to the flex plate. See what I mean at http://www.hughesperformance.com/circle.html . You can also buy manual valve bodies already set up for about $160 from summit or I modified my own with a small piece of tubing in the back of the 1-2 shift valve. If you know someone that understands trannys it isn't hard to do. If you have enough room between the engine and v-drive there is no need to install the tail shaft eliminator. Some people don't have that much room. A friend of mine had to cut off the bell housing and the tailshaft to get a TH350 in his boat but when done thought it was worth all the work and cost. Once you set up a PG the conversion to a TH350 is easy since the driveshaft and mounting is the same.
    PS: I removed the park pawl from the trans to prevent the possibilities of a large wake bouncing the boat enough to engage park at 30 MPH. I did the math and figured that park wasn't going to work anyway. I have collected up a 200 4R trans with the thought of having overdrive for cruising. It too will fit in the same area and driveline as a PG or TH350.

Cole Sanger
    David396, I wish I would have known you were going to put a powerglide in. I have one already set up. I was going to do the same thing. I would say come and get it, but I doubt you want to make that trip again. I would also suggest you don't buy the manual valve body already done. Buy the manual valve body kit from Hughes. It is simple to modify. The directions are super simple and easy to follow. The price is about a quarter of one already modified. It only takes about an hour to do. I also like the torque converter eliminator. Just make sure you tell them you have motor plates before you buy it. They can sell you one that is modified for that. I didn't, and will have to have the one I have modified for motorplates if I ever use it, which I won't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast