Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: keaton Jet

tkeller
    Anyone out there have one? Ever had one? Ridden in one? What can you tell me about these? I love their lines and look and was looking for feedback. How do they ride? I live in Sacramento and have actually visited the Keaton shop but never really talked to anyone in particular... if you have pics it would be great to see.
    I'm getting my 2nd boat next month (September). An 18' Spectra.. actually found it on this board. Great boat... can't wait!
    /new to this board.

Keithb87
    Welcome to the board...
    And no... I never heard of them...

keaton
    1992 keaton w ford 460

napabob
    Congratulations on acquiring the Spectra.
    This is my first year with mine.
    Is it the one that 'coastguardsteve' had for sale?
    This is one site that referrers to Keaton jet boats:
    http://www.classic-boats.net/classiccraft/id9.htm

tkeller
    Napa... you are right. I've talked to Steve the last month or so. He's a great guy and I have a lot of confidence in his boat after seeing his posts and driving down to Fresno to check it out. I'm just waiting on a refinance with my home to go though and then I'll be heading down there to bring it home. Its a solid boat and rides great. I'm extremely excited and can't wait to get it home and on the water.
    He took me out on Millerton lake and I had a ear to ear grin the whole time. I've owned one other boat and that was a flat bottom mini day cruiser that was ridiculous in chop and had an I/O with all sorts of quirks. I like the simplicity of a jet as well as the limited number of moving parts and lack of gear oil etc. Safety is also an issue and the Spectra hull seems to be rock solid and I've done a lot of research and everyone swears by them. I actually really like the green color and I know Steve put a lot of work into making it a solid, reliable boat.
    So.... I'm shooting for the weekend of the 10th to hopefully get the deal done and make her my own.
    I'll be interested in any Spectra gatherings in the future, it would be neat to meet some other owners.
    I assume you are in Napa.... I'm in Sacramento to maybe if you are ever out in the next couple of months I could head out and meet you.

napabob
    tkeller,
    Steve, I have only talked to him on the phone, did invest a lot of time and funds on the boat to make it a better ride.
    There is one site dedicated to the Spectra:
    www.spectramarine.com
    There is a regatta gathering for Spectra owners, but it is taking a little longer this year to select a date and I might not be able to attend this year, but maybe next year.
    You can view the owners section and see the boat listed under Steve McVay’s name.
    We are going to have an LBBA (Laid Back Boaters Association) gathering here at Lake Berrryessa on the 17th, 18th and 19th with about 20 boats or more of all kinds, if interested, get a hold of Rich Stephenson at loedman1@juno.com. I will be out on the lake on the 5th and 12th of next month. One of the days might fit into your schedule if you take possession of the boat by the 10th.
    I have gone boating just about every Sunday since finishing the work on my boat this winter and I almost made a trip with the boat on August 8th to Folsom Lake, but decided not to tow since I had my in-laws with me who wanted to visit with a niece up in El Dorado Hills.
    Yes, I am in Napa and was thinking about visiting Folsom before the season ends. How is the level of the lake now?

napabob
    Anyone out there have one? Ever had one? Ridden in one? What can you tell me about these? I love their lines and look and was looking for feedback. How do they ride? I live in Sacramento and have actually visited the Keaton shop but never really talked to anyone in particular... if you have pics it would be great to see.
    I'm getting my 2nd boat next month (September). An 18' Spectra.. actually found it on this board. Great boat... can't wait!
    /new to this board.
    tkeller,
    This is an old link, but this guy Ethan has a Keaton
    http://realjetboats.com/ethan/ethan.html
    and this one:
    http://monst15.securesites.net/customerphotos/

tkeller
    Bob,
    The last I heard, the levels at Folsom were really down. Brown's marina had to have everyone pull their boats in June, I think. That means it is really really low. Also, when I was contemplating buying another boat I looked in to renting one (to convince the wife that boating is fun). The guy wouldn't let anyone take a boat to Folsom... said it was too low. I've seen it get down to the point that you could practically walk to the middle of the lake.... I haven't been out there in a long time though so I haven't seen it with my own eyes. Folsom is a great lake when the water is up. There are two main forks and they go quite a way back. There are a million PWCs out there though and a lot of drinking and partying so it can get a little crazy. I prefer launching up north, past the airport, on the Sacramento River.

napabob
    tkeller,
    Maybe I'll plan a trip up to the north part of the Sacramento River. Me and the Mrs.'s have been to the Napa River, Lake Sonoma, Clearlake (Lake County), Tower Park Marina, Lodi (did not launch there), and numerous times at Lake Berryessa.
    Keep us posted on you acquisition progress.

tkeller
    Bob,
    I will keep posted... I'm sure when I finally pick it up I'll be gone from this board for a while.... I'll be out on the water every chance I get!!
    A few years ago when I had my other boat I spent most of my time on the water at the Sacramento River. There are some great spots if you stay north of Discovery Park (where the American and Sacramento meet). I like to go all the way up to where the Feather meets the Sacramento. There is a great sandbar there and the drive up is fun. There is a really nice, low key launch just past the airport, they call it the Yolo launch. Basically one boat at a time so there really isn't any chance of battling with people to get in. Every time I went I was able to put in and take out w/out hassle. I can't say the same for Discovery Park... its ridiculous and full of knuckleheads.... drunks.... and obnoxious people.
    Let me know if you'd like directions to that launch. Also... there are some great spots along that part of the river to stop in for lunch.
    TK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast