Thread: Flexplate Driveshaft

Cole Sanger
    The new setup in the new boat is a little different than the old setup in the old boat. The new setup I am working with has motor plates. The flexplate is mounted to the crank right now with the motorplate off. The problem I am having is when I put the motorplate between the engine and the flexplate I can see that it is going to rub. The question I have is do I need to space out the flexplate with one of these - http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...04&prmenbr=361 ?
    The second question I have is more of a memory problem I am having. I can't seem to picture how the driveshaft mounts to the flexplate. I know it need a coupler, and I am pretty sure that I have what I need. I am hoping that someone has a couple of pictures of how they have mounted this. I think where I am having a problem remembering is that I used to have a flywheel on a 427 and now I am going to run a flexplate on a 454 with a motorplate. Just a touch different. Thanks for the help in advance.

wsuwrhr
    The second question I have is more of a memory problem I am having. I can't seem to picture how the driveshaft mounts to the flexplate. I know it need a coupler, and I am pretty sure that I have what I need. I am hoping that someone has a couple of pictures of how they have mounted this. I think where I am having a problem remembering is that I used to have a flywheel on a 427 and now I am going to run a flexplate on a 454 with a motorplate. Just a touch different. Thanks for the help in advance.
    You need what is called a PTO flange for your crank.
    something like this.PTO flanges (http://www.rexmar.com/page311.html)
    Brian

wsuwrhr
    As far as the motorplate goes, if it were "open" inside the bellhousing area it shouldn't rub. Is your plate solid? Maybe you need to cut a hole for the flexplate.
    Brian
    Pictures pictures

Cole Sanger
    I have the PTO, so that is good. These motorplates came with the boat, and they are really nice pieces. The engine that was removed prior to me buying it was a 454 also, so I thought this was going to be a fairly easy problem to overcome. Do you think it would be a problem, or create a problem in the future if I used one of those spacers from Jegs? When I slide the motorplate in between the engine and the flexplate, it is just touching the flexplate teeth. If I tried to start the engine it would surely scrape. I am only looking for an 8th of an inch at most I would think. How do other people get around this when installing motorplates? Other than cutting the motorplates that is. Worst case I call the seller and ask him how he did it. Thanks.

wsuwrhr
    Do you think it would be a problem, or create a problem in the future if I used one of those spacers from Jegs? When I slide the motorplate in between the engine and the flexplate, it is just touching the flexplate teeth. If I tried to start the engine it would surely scrape. I am only looking for an 8th of an inch at most I would think. How do other people get around this when installing motorplates? Other than cutting the motorplates that is. Worst case I call the seller and ask him how he did it. Thanks.
    If you could, I would ask the seller. Didn't you buy it from someone on the boards?
    Be careful spacing out the flexplate, it has to register on the crank. The spacers would work, however an 1/8 would be alot in my opinion. Without looking at it, I would say cut the motorplate.
    Brian
    pictures pictures

Cole Sanger
    Yep, I bought it from Fhat Cat. I just sent him an e-mail. I am not sure about the 8th inch. I was just guessing. How much do you think an SFI approved flexplate will flex? In a perfect condition, no flex, I would only need about a 1/16th inch gap/spacer. I was just trying to get a little more for any flex in the flexplate. I figure if he had it installed in the boat, I should be able to also without cutting it. Very worst case I cut it. Thanks.