Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speedometer mishap killed my new amps.

bohica
    Picked up the the Conquest this weekend with the nice system intalled by Car Toyz. The system sounded great and the install was very clean, but
    2 hours on the water later and I have no stereo. The tube for the speedometer came off the back of the guage and proceeded to soak both amps. Major bummer, but between Car Toyz and Conquest, I'm sure they work it out to who's gonna cover the cost of replacing them. All I know is, it shouldn't be out of my pocket.
    I've had 5 high performance boats, and have never had the tube come off at the dash. Had them get clogged or come off at the transom, but never at the dash. Car Toyz suggests I put a GPS speedo in. They say it will come off again. Anyone else have this problem.

Havasu Hangin'
    The tube will come off if you don't clamp it properly (sadly, a $2 part may have caused your problem).
    GPS is nice, but you'll need to fill the holes in the transom (in addition to buying a $350 speedo)...been there, done that.

ROZ
    I would think that Conquest would be liable for the source of the water, but it seems like the installers could have partial blame for installing them there.
    I know HH and I have always preeched that heat, humidity, and the chance of something like this happening is why we don't recommend putting them in the engine compartments. Shops will say that they rarely have a problem, but it's only a matter of time before it does. Most of the time you're s.o.l. , but I would think that these guys will take care of you.
    Shops do not get reimbursed from the MFG for water damaged units.

bohica
    Roz, the amps were not in the engine compartment. They are mounted on the wall behind the dash board in the little porta potty storage area. A zip tie was used clamp on the tube to the guage.

Havasu Hangin'
    A zip tie was used clamp on the tube to the guage.
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it didn't work as planned...
    I know a guy who got his engine installed, and the shop put a zip-tie on the oil pressure sending unit.
    After the tow, we renamed him "Captain Hazelwood"...

ROZ
    Roz, the amps were not in the engine compartment. They are mounted on the wall behind the dash board in the little porta potty storage area. A zip tie was used clamp on the tube to the guage.
    Oops, I read too quickly and didn't see that it came off the speedometer itself. Thanks
    However those people who do install them inside the engine compartment risk the same type of damage without any recourse.
    I hope Magic covers you...

bohica
    I had a freind that picked up a brand new Eliminator this year. Same thing happened to him at the launch ramp on his first trip out. But in his case it was the fuel pressure gauge. Filled up his boat ankle deep in fuel. Lucky for him it didn't blow up.
    So what are all the other builders using to connect the hoses to the guages?

Havasu Hangin'
    So what are all the other builders using to connect the hoses to the guages?
    I'm not a builder, but I put aircraft fittings on mine, and a small SS clamp on the barb behind the dash. It is much easier to tighten a clamp than a zip-tie.

ROZ
    Things that make you go hmmmm.

Mr. Naudio
    Picked up the the Conquest this weekend with the nice system intalled by Car Toyz. The system sounded great and the install was very clean, but
    2 hours on the water later and I have no stereo. The tube for the speedometer came off the back of the guage and proceeded to soak both amps. Major bummer, but between Car Toyz and Conquest, I'm sure they work it out to who's gonna cover the cost of replacing them. All I know is, it shouldn't be out of my pocket.
    I've had 5 high performance boats, and have never had the tube come off at the dash. Had them get clogged or come off at the transom, but never at the dash. Car Toyz suggests I put a GPS speedo in. They say it will come off again. Anyone else have this problem.
    I can personally gaurantee that you will not be paying one cent to have either one of them fixed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast