Thread: Remote Starter - How ???

Avenger 1975
    Is there an easy way to activate the starter circuit without being near the key? I'm working alone on a 455, need to fiddle with carb, etc. while cranking. I'm sure it is simple but I wasn't sure where to connect or if I could do any harm. Any help is appreciated.

Make both connections at the starter. One lead of the remote starter goes to the "S" terminal on the solenoid and the other goes to the battery cable connection at the solenoid.
    If you happen to have a terminal block at the back of the engine you could also make your connections there, using the "bat" and "start" terminals.

powerplay230
    Not sure at all here but is 455 setup same as Chevy's or would that be changed depending upon setup. If not could jump from the starter solenoid if you don't mind the chance of spark.

Avenger 1975
    Thanks for the replys, bear with me as I'm a novice. I don't have a remote starter, is this something I need to buy or will any switch do? Need heavy gauge wire?

You ---could--- do it with a piece of wire, but you should be able to pick up a remote starter switch at the local parts store inexpensively. Doesn't need to be real heavy duty (it's a fairly low current circuit) unless you use it a whole lot, as in "professional use".

Hotcrusader76
    It looks like this. You can purchase it at Jegs Racing under part number 885-CP7853 for $11.99
    http://www.jegs.com/photos/885CP7853.gif

Avenger 1975
    Thanks guys!

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    I put a spring loaded 'start' button on the bottom of my terminal block. you do have to turn the key on in the dash but after that crank away with the button. comes in handy when tuning one at the back of the boat.
    Best of all it is permanent and no wires to fiddle with. oh and it is hot all the time so I can bump the engine over to get the grease fitting on my u-joint. very helpful. this way I don't have to be running the fuel pump and everything else to get the engine to turn over.
    Omega

Where you located? I have a remote starter you could barrow.
    Either that or make your own, at autozones you can buy a heavy duty starter button for cheap. mount it to a a pvc pipe cap solider some wires on it and get some large aligator clamps.