Thread: pre oiling systems

bluewater7
    I would appreciate hearing about any experiences or thoughts on these systems. Do they actually reduce start up engine wear in a meaningful way? Do they justify their expense? Thanks in advance.

Robbie Racer
    I would appreciate hearing about any experiences or thoughts on these systems. Do they actually reduce start up engine wear in a meaningful way? Do they justify their expense? Thanks in advance.
    I put one in the first year that I had the boat but took it out the next year because it was a pain to change the oil. I refreshen the motor about once a year (every 100 hours or so) and I didn't see any difference in wear between using it and not using the pre luber.

Jbb
    I had one on my 21 Edge jet....Masterlube...air over oil...It worked well,and I felt better about having oil pressure before I started it...A lot of engine builders agree that dry starts kill engines ....I think its cheap insurance against premature wear...Next time I am gonna go with the pump type like Keith Eickert sells.... The following are his thoughts from his website....
    DON'T START RUNNING DRY
    Cold starts can be very destructive.
    As far as we're concerned, a pre-luber should be required on any performance engine. It should be standard on any factory engine because dry starts are one of the quickest ways to ruin an engine.
    Dry starts can occur in very cold weather, very hot climates, following routine oil changes, after prolonged idle time and even after an engine sits for as little as 30 seconds.
    Wear occurs in the first few minutes while the fast-idling engine waits for the oil to get to the bearings and other critical parts."
    A pre-luber lubricates and pressurizes the engine with lubricant before cranking. Essentially an electric-driven specialty pump, it bathes surfaces in oil before the engine starts.
    Certain components, notably crankshaft bearings, don't get oiled properly until the engine turns over a few times.
    When the engine is shut off, a pre-luber also post-lubricates vital parts for up to about five minutes, which helps to uniformly cool the engine.
    Lubrication: This way for Complete Oiling Systems and assorted System Components.

FastTimmy
    I made my own set up. I use it every outing and to change my oil. It is a stand alone electric pump with a stand alone pickup and fed into the motor. Actualy it feeds my oil filter first to make sure it is clean. With six feet of -12 hose, an oil cooler and a HP6 fillter it helps the dry starts big time.
    Just my .02
    Timmy

paradigm shift
    I think they are a good idea. Do they justify there expense? To me it depends on how long your motor sits before it is run the next time. I use the poor mans method and pull the kill switch and crank it over for a while. this gets oil pressure up and fuel to carburators as I run a mechnical fuel pump. Never waits for oil pressure at start up. I do my own work and oil breakdown or failure has never been a problem. To me it is like the synthetic oil debate. Is it better yes without a doupt. Is it justified or will it pay for itself? Well I run dino oil and no prelube. Call me old school.

GofastRacer
    I just crank the motor until the guage starts to move then hit the mag, been doing it that way forever with no problems!..

Fiat48
    I ran accusump systems for years. Today they have been removed from everything I ran them on.
    Unless you are plumb this systems exactly right..the oil that is supposed to go the engine only takes the path of least resistance and winds up going back through the oil pump. You have to check valve seperate the plumbing to where the oil will actually have to head to the bearings.
    With that solved the next deal I didn't like was refilling the accucump. Look at this situation:
    You turn the unit on and (since it is filled) oil flows to the engine. Great deal...now we are prelubed. Now..you are gonna have to refill that accusump and it will be while the engine is running. So we starve (or at least run a whole lot less oil pressure to the bearings) while we are refilling it for the next "start". Personally, I would rather crank the motor over and get oil pressure, then flip the mag switch.
    Finally...I found the accucump or any pre oil system to be "too little..too late" as far as "an oil pressure loss situation where the oiler would keep the bearings oiled while you regained oil pressure. "
    However, if there is such a system that would pre lube the engine and would refill itself by it's own seperate oil pump and not the engines oil pump then I would say it would be of some value on starting.

UBFJ #454
    We preheat the oil in "Ms. Moneypenny" and circulate it thru the motor by disconnecting the belt drive of her dry sump pump (An Auto-Verdi), then turn it using a 1/2 drill several times (over a period of about 45 minutes to an hour) for several minutes.

Fiat48
    Dry sump. Whole different ball game and the ultimate oiling system. I do the same thing and love that dry sump. I would never go back to wet sump.