Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Received a ticket in Hudson on the St Croix River

mud duck
    On Friday evening about 6:45 PM a Wisconsin patrol boat stopped me and gave me a $150 ticket for loud exhaust noise. They actually had a decibel meter and tested my boat for just over 100 decibels and the limit is 86 decibels. We passed other patrol boats during the day and had no trouble with them. The Stillwater "Lumber Jack Days" were in full force so maybe they were busy monitoring that stuff. We had over 6+ good hours of great boating before they nailed us, so that was nice. Any suggestions on mufflers would be great. This is a new 540 BBC with Lighning headers, 650 horse power and a B&M 250 blower at 4lbs of boost. Any advice would be great.

GGB
    mud duck - give me a call, we can put your boat right around 86 dB without killing the power. 1.888.828.7268
    Graham-www.ggb.ca

Bajajet
    How did they test you? At idle with their funny pvc contraption or on a drive by?

mud duck
    They tested my boat a couple of times, at idle and while under way, but both times they were directly behind my boat following me. They used a little hand held db meter.

dorC
    Them following you was NOT a approved method of testing! Wisconsin has two methods of testing. One is at idle and ONLY at idle. The second requires you to pass by a STATIONARY point at full throttle. The problem is that there is a law that does not allow you to pass by a pier at that distance. Therefore, the only test that is being used is the idle test.
    Suppose you could fight it in court. I tried. Turned out the cop didn't remember the test, so he just quoted the manual from memory. Really, unfortinate, because my memory was better and more correct than his was. Of course, the court didn't believe me.

PlyaPlya22
    Nice avatar

mud duck
    Well, I put on a set of the HPI clamp on silencers last week. Went out this weekend and could not have been happier. The noise was considerably reduced and my performance was barely touched. Passed three patrol boats without any trouble. I think this is a solid solution to my problem.

572Daytona
    Do you think those HPI clamp on's would work with OT Bassetts? I got a ticket awhile back and I put the baffles in mine but they cost me 200-300rpm, and really didn't do much for the noise.

WUTWZAT
    Love that Avitar, is that the full spread buffet?
    Jason

dorC
    Love that Avitar, is that the full spread buffet?
    Jason
    I just wish I knew what yours was saying!
    Count the legs...I took that pic a couple of years ago at loto. I was told that they were doing alot more than that inside the cruiser... :idea:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast