Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Medical Bills

LaveyJet
    Ten days ago my daughter was in a single car roll over accident. (ThatÂ’s a phone call I hope no one ever gets, but thatÂ’s another story). Anyway, aside of having the Sh*t scared out of her, sheÂ’s ok. Just a few bumps and bruises, side air bags worked fine. She was taken to Loma Linda University hospital around midnight. They ran some tests made sure she was ok and kept her for observation, finally releasing her around 3 the next afternoon. We just got a copy of the bill. 15 hours in the hospital, $24,000. :jawdrop:
    She was in emergency the whole time. Of course insurance will cover it, but that is f’ing ridicules! For that she had an IV. Xrays and a Cat scan. I can’t help but wonder how many “Illegals” visits are being subsidized with that payment.

schlepy
    thank god that your daughter is ok and thank god for insurance. i had a big shoulder surgery and got a copy of the bill, over 80k. something needs to happen with medical costs.... what the hell happens to people with no insurance? i cant imagine getting no help from a hospital or a huge bill that would bankrupt you!

phuggit
    "I can’t help but wonder how many “Illegals” visits are being subsidized with that payment."
    Exactly!

Racer277
    Most of the time insurance co are contracted with the hospital, drs office, etc., meaning they only pay 1/4 to 1/2 of the charged rate. :idea:
    Mrs.Racer277

dale459us
    racer277....your figures are way off...did you mean they right off 1/4 of the bill? There is a contract between each of the providers (hospital & insurance)
    as what is exceptable payment. The rest is wrote off. Never will they deduct such a huge amount like 1/2 or even a 1/4. we could only wish

MRS. MAINEVENT
    When MAINEVENT and I had our triplets the 4 days I was in there plus my c-section/delivery was 1.3 mill!!!!! They were in the hospital for 3 weeks before coming home and that was another 900,000.....thank goodness for insurance
    Glad that your daughter is o.k.

1978 Rogers
    Our son was born last year. I started to feel kinda sick the day we took him home. I asked for an Alka Seltzer to calm my stomach. We asked for an itemized billing. I was charged $3.50 for a single tablet of Alka Seltzer. Not even a twin pack.
    It's good to hear you daughter was OK. Those phone calls are no good.

Lightning
    Insurance costs are redicoulous, it's a never ending cycle of costs that have been pushed from the drug companies, to hospitals, to the doctors, to the porfits of the medical centers, and finally to the consumers. Think of all the lawsuits relating to medical, imagine what their workers comp insurance bill is along with other liability.

bigd1
    Hospital bill are like the window sticker on a new car. Nobody ever pays that amount. Most hospitals are per-diem nowadays, meaning the insurance company negotiates a rate per night like a hotel and that's it. They make money on some, lose on others.

1978 Rogers
    Our sons birth cost $15,000 last year. It was a natural birth, nothing out of the ordinary. They were in the hospital for 2 nights. We had to pay about $2,000 out of pocket.
    "When MAINEVENT and I had our triplets the 4 days I was in there plus my c-section/delivery was 1.3 mill!!!!!" Damn that is a lot of money.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast