Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tall Deck Intake Spacer Question ??

MidnightMantra
    I am fixing to convert my single plane tall deck intake over to a Tunnel Ram that is standard deck height. I ordered the spacers this week, is there any trick to making sure you get a good seal when installing a standard deck intake on a tall deck engine. I was going looking at installing fel-pro gaskets on each side of the plates and siliconing the water ports real good. Is this the right direction to go?

GofastRacer
    No trick at all, gaskets on both sides but to make things easy for R&R down the road, drill a small hole on each corner and put a roll pin in to hold the plates to the intake, that way when you take the manifold off the plates stay on the manifold and you only need 1 set of gaskets to put it back on!....

MidnightMantra
    Thanks, thats a pretty damn good idea to drill the small holes and put roll pins in. Thanks for the input.

GofastRacer
    You're quite welcome!..

Fiat48
    I am fixing to convert my single plane tall deck intake over to a Tunnel Ram that is standard deck height. I ordered the spacers this week, is there any trick to making sure you get a good seal when installing a standard deck intake on a tall deck engine. I was going looking at installing fel-pro gaskets on each side of the plates and siliconing the water ports real good. Is this the right direction to go?
    All of what the injector division said..plus...... Check your distributor height. The former tall deck manifold may have been machined to accept a low deck distributor. When you use spacer plates...the distributor gonna be higher.

obnoxious001
    I like to use flat head machine screws, and counter sink the plate to make sure the screw does not interfer with the gasket or intake manifold. I also drill and tap the block for a couple of flat heads through the block spacer plates. My 2c

I concur with Obnoxious. We would counter sink some flat heads into the spacer and drill and tap them. Put a light film of silicone on and attach them to the intake permenatly. Makes tear down a little easier.
    Chris

Fiat48
    Actually that is the way I did it. But I was never so glad to see tall deck manifolds made.
    We even used to make them out of a composite stuff. Some kind of plastic like Lexan. Had various thicknesses for different motor height combo's.
    When we went injectors we got rid of the spacer plates all together. Sawed the injector in half (now Gofastracer is cringing at the thought..yeah they were Crowers) lengthwise, cut all the middle stuff out and bolted them to the heads. Then made a valley tray for the center out of aluminum plate. Then made some mount dealios to hold the injector back together at it's new wide location. That was 1984. Sold the injectors when I went blown and they are on a guys mantle. On display.
    Stupid racers try anything.

GofastRacer
    I concur with Obnoxious. We would counter sink some flat heads into the spacer and drill and tap them. Put a light film of silicone on and attach them to the intake permenatly. Makes tear down a little easier.
    Chris
    I done that too but I found out that roll pins work just as good and is a lot quicker to do!..

GofastRacer
    Actually that is the way I did it. But I was never so glad to see tall deck manifolds made.
    We even used to make them out of a composite stuff. Some kind of plastic like Lexan. Had various thicknesses for different motor height combo's.
    When we went injectors we got rid of the spacer plates all together. Sawed the injector in half (now Gofastracer is cringing at the thought..yeah they were Crowers) lengthwise, cut all the middle stuff out and bolted them to the heads. Then made a valley tray for the center out of aluminum plate. Then made some mount dealios to hold the injector back together at it's new wide location. That was 1984. Sold the injectors when I went blown and they are on a guys mantle. On display.
    Stupid racers try anything.
    LMAO, yeah I'm cringing, but back then they were plentiful, wouldn't want to do that on those today though!....I seen that done before but it was with Hilborns and Enderles!...
    From the injector division!..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast