Thread: Steering Problems (non Boat related)

Wet Dream
    I'll try to detail this as best I can, and keep it short and simple also.
    '95 Explorer, 4wd.
    The steering has become real tight in the same spots. With the steering wheel positioned "straight up" Ford logo level (it has tilt, but forget about that all together), the steering gets tight at the 2:00 position, releases at the 3, gets tight again at 8:00 and releases at 9:00. Its equally difficult to get it to come back to straight up and does the same thing turning left, with tension at the same spots. I ordered a new rack and pinion, but I'm second guessing myself and beginning to wonder if its the U-joints in the steering column between the wheel and the rack, or is it the rack? Does anyone have any advice on this? The power steering pump doesn't act as if its working any harder to get it thorough these "tight" spots.

dtr352
    I broke a gear in the steering box on a 01 silverado. It made the stearing tight all the way around. Felt like the power steering was working against me. May not be the same problem but you never know.

Fiat48
    Could easily be a U joint. You'd have to disconnect the column to find out but I have seen this before. Little bitty unlubed U joints. Where I would start anyway.

Wet Dream
    Thats what I'm thinking. It just seems a little funny that its always in the same place. Thanks for the replies.