Thread: Engine or pump problem???

DickDanger
    Okay tech guys, give me the low down. I went to Havasu, dropped the boat in the water, and, when started, it sounded like a rock was int he pump. Shut it off, and checked the pump out. Found nothing. Started again, and, as the motor was running, the Tach wouldnt read, and still sounded like crap. Hauled it out of the water, thouroughly checked the pump, and still could find nothing. When I tried to get the motor to fire again, it wouldnt turn. I could tell that it wanted to, but either there is something in the pump that I cant see, not letting the crank turn, or, maybe I broke the timing chain. The engine isnt seized, and I had good oil pressure up to that point. Any ideas???

mister460
    What kind of motor? Pump? History of any problems? Still getting spark i.e. does the rotor turn? Sounds like motor to me. Smething in the bottom end. Possibly broke the timing chain.

picklefork1
    Does your fly wheel turn when you are trying to start it. I recently had the same problem, what I had done was got a hold of a few rocks and although the pump was clear it had pushed my impeller into the bowl and it bound up. You have probably already tryed this but unbolt the drive from the fly and see if your motor will start or atleast spin.

DickDanger
    Pickle,
    That is a good idea. It is a 454 Chevy that has never had any problems at all. I guess if I unbolt it, and the motor wont turn, it is a motor problem, and if it does, it is a pump problem. -Dick Danger out

Old Charger
    Hmmm.. lost yer tach reading and it was running like crap? Maybe something in the HEI distributor? Ignition module?
    I dunno.. just a dumb guess..

bajaruner
    Sounds like you have a rock jammed between the impeller and the bowl, if this is not the case you may have stripped the cam gear teeth, if it's the original alot of the factory 454's used nylon cam sprocket that is a real piece of junk. What ever you do don't use the starter for turning the engine until you find the problem, you'll do more damage than good no matter what the problem is. Anouther possibility is that the distributor drive gear is bad on either the cam or the distributor. Disconnect the u-joints and isolate the engine from the pump and turn each by hand from there.
    HOPE THIS HELPS