Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: changing gears in a v-drive

76cole
    what do i have to know to change out the gears in a v-drive. is there somewhere i can bring it to have it done? i have no clue how to take one apart or put it back together. i am almost ready to install my engine but i still have to take out the old blower gears and install the 18's. thanks
    76cole

INEEDAV
    what do i have to know to change out the gears in a v-drive. is there somewhere i can bring it to have it done? i have no clue how to take one apart or put it back together. i am almost ready to install my engine but i still have to take out the old blower gears and install the 18's. thanks
    76cole
    There is a diagram in the gearheads forum that has drawings. Its really simple to take apart. You should talk with someone who knows what they are doing on how to measure clearances for when you go back together with the new gears. Tom Bentley at Menkins helped me out with parts and advice when I rebuilt mine. If you don't want to do it yourself I am sure that Tom would take care of it for you. Here is his number..... 530-885-0531
    And here is the link to the thread in the gearheads forum....
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38170

Dimarco21
    I use Dago, at Dago's marine in Concord. He's about 30 minutes away from ya 925-689-0613. real good guy.

wsuwrhr
    Tom Bentley does work on boxes. SuperDave has gears. Both are members of this board.
    Brian

bocco
    Try Tom Weaver. Weavers auto and Marine in Livermore. 925-606-9826. He races hydros and has been playing with V-drives for quite a while. Also a great guy to deal with.
    Gary

Prime 8780
    If you need help or have any questions in regards to the gear change I'd be happy to help you out. Call me and I can run you through it over the phone.
    Mike
    www.primemarineusa.com

Bobbo541
    how much horse power and what size prop are you running.18 gear might be to big

76cole
    thanks for all the reply's. i am running appox. 600 h.p. i will check the prop when i get home tonight and post it. as far as doing it myself i would like to try it seeing next year i am going to have to change back when i put the blower engine in it. kinda low on funds right now but i want to learn how to drive in first with a mild engine in it. i would like someone close by with the needed tools and pullers to walk me through the process by reading the directions it seem like it is like setting up a rear end in a truck with the right settings of the gears. never done that before but if someone showed me i am sure i could do it. thanks
    76cole

Fiat48
    Buy a bearing puller from Superdave.
    Lower the nose of the boat trailer.
    Place a medium size garbage bag under the V drive. This is supposed to catch the gear oil.
    Remove the top small front cover. 6 bolts 1/2" socket.
    Pull the top bearing out with the puller you just bought.
    Remove the front cover 5/16" bolts. Don't forget the two on the bottom.
    View of V drive found here:
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38170
    Slide the cover off. There may be a bolt in the lower cover to help press the cover off. Some V drive have it, some don't.
    Don't tear the gasket. Oil now flows everywhere but where you put the garbage bag
    Mop up the oil.
    Remove the top gear outside spacer. Mark it "TOP" with a felt pen.
    Remove the bottom gear outside spacer. mark it "bottom" with a felt pen.
    Slide the top gear off. That's the bigger gear of the two.
    Slide the bottom gear off.
    Slide the new bottom gear on. Replace the spacer marked "bottom."
    Slide the new top gear on. Replace the spacer marked "top."
    Make sure the gasket is not torn. If you tore it..you gotta replace it. Some have more than one gasket. Thickness is important.
    Reinstall the main cover. Tap the top bearing back in. Put the little cover plate back on top (checking that you have installed all gaskets that came off it.)
    Fill V drive with oil.

78Eliminator
    What kind of oil Fiat?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast