Thread: Manual Place Diverter-Hard to Move

travis hathaway
    A boating buddy,sleekcraft76,has installed two manual place diverters on two different boats during the past year and both of them are very hard to raise and lower. One is very hard and the other is very,very hard. We disassembled one of them this past weekend and checked for binding and twists and any other restriction and found none. Has any of you had this problem and does anyone know what could be causing the problem? We considered that there might not be enough leverage on the diverter arm. :idea:

jstwkd
    cable is probably bad..I change mine every year...

Some Kind Of Monster
    Perhaps the bolts that connect the linkage are too tight? Try unbolting the cable and see if it moves easier.

Move the handle to the right before trying to raise or lower j/k
    The nozzle should move extremely easy up and down with the cable disconnected. If not, check that the seal is seated properly. The lever has enough leverage to move nozzle, so if the nozzle moves OK, and the lever itself is OK, the cable would be the culprit. Look for any sharp bends in the cable routing, too. BTW, is the cable new or used?

ive found that when the cable starts to go bad,... the wire cable starts to splinter and cause drag on the ID of the cable lining!
    jstkwd has the right idea, change that shizzle frequently or add one of thosegrease fittings at the end of your external side of the steering tube, that may keep some of the water from seeping inside of the cable!
    i'll see if i can get a pic of the fitting that im talking about!
    Todd

travis hathaway
    Thanx for the replys, and fyi, both the diverters and cables are new. In each case, the cables were ordered a little too long and there are some excessive bends. On the other hand, I have a steering cable that is too long and works with ease. We are going to shortened the cables and try.
    THANX AGAIN