Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rocker arms

Nucking futs
    This is what happened,I was running comp cams roller tip rockers and was getting alot of smoke out of my breathers.I also fryed a rocker rotator and the exhaust rockers all were black with burnt oil on them.
    I swithed them out for roller rockers and adjusted them the same as always and it ran awsome on the trailer and seemed like the engine was a little looser on the revs and just seemed like it was ready to go.
    So the next day i take it to the lake put it in the water idled out and romped on the gas and it seemed as if the valves were way to tight and it would only rev to 4500.There was no popping or anything but it ran like the engine was way tight.The engine had no power and just sucked.
    Question: Could the adjustment be a little different now and the ratio be more true with the new rocker arms ?
    The way i adjust is exh. starts to open and adj. int.--Int. start to close adj.ex. and once at 0 lash go half turn to preload.(hyd roller).
    Maybe only go a 1/4 turn? This shit is starting to frustrate me, but i did cure the oil out of the breather problem...

victorfb
    i use the comp roller rockers and set em the same way, but at 1/4 turn.
    now what did you do to get rid of the oil out the breather problem? you gave it to me.

LakesOnly
    Futts, time for a compression test...
    LO

Nucking futs
    Are you using the stamped steel roller tips or the nice aluim. ones?My problem was the stamped steel ones were getting to hot on the exhaust valve.Some said it was not oiling right but i ran it W/O valve covers and they are oiling fine.My old rocker had some pretty rough use and all the rotators were galled up pretty good and just getting to hot due to the balls getting to hot and crystalizing the oil when it oiled them.I am still goin to keep an eye on them for a while.

Nucking futs
    Futts, time for a compression test...
    LO
    It only has 5 hours on it.Fresh heads,rings,valves everything.

A couple things to check. Is the ratio the same as the CC rockers? When you replaced them, did you check the contact pattern on the stem tip to see if your geometry changed?

Nucking futs
    I didnt check that but the ratio is the same.I am going to pull it apart this weekend and figure it out i hope.Boat ran great before i changed the arms.

victorfb
    mine are the full roller steel ones from comp cams. they look very similar to the aluminum ones but a bit thinner. not the stamped steel roller tip style. if you were getting too much heat from the exhaust valves, you may have had them too tight and the valve wasnt staying on the seat long enough to cool itself down. that is how the heat is transfered from the vlave. the less time it seats the more heat you will build.

victorfb
    if you want to come by and compare rockers, i am staying at toni's which im told is just a couple streets from your place. ill be working on the boat here and the valve covers are coming off shortly.

HP350SC
    Did you change the cam to a different brand? Same heads?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast