Thread: Steering Rack ?s

Zeug
    Soo many "little" things to track down on a new to me boat. :rollside:
    I'm having fun digging through everything.
    I have an old rack steering system now that is pretty tough to steer. The resistance is in the cable or the rack as the pump pivots great with out it attached. The helm also has a lot of play. I figure for the $$ I'll prolly replace the whole thing.
    I cant tell what brand I have in there now. No markings on the rack system. but there is a number 48226 on it if that rings a bell with anyone?? Anyways,
    what rack to get? I have looked at the Hardin Marine and the Teleflex. The Teleflex doesnt look that bad for $150.
    Is ther another one I havent seen?
    Kent

cruser
    Look at rexmar.com, eddiemarine.com or cpperformance.com. I bought mine at one of those, don't remember which although I think it was rex. Look at the materials the rack/cable are made of. I choose the one made from Stainless steel.
    cruzer

brianwhiteboy
    I've got a brand new (still in the box) Hardin Marine rack system including a brand new cable as well (long enough for an 18ft. jet). I'll let it go for $100 if anyone is interested.
    Email me at river_brian@sbcglobal.net if your interested.

Mohavekid
    The resistance is probably in the cable.
    You can take the cable off the rack to verify this. The cable should have a # printed on the jacket at one end which Rex should be able to cross reference for a replacement. The cable alone should be cheaper/easier than replacing the entire rack and cable.
    Good luck.

Prime 8780
    If you are building a new boat or re-building an old one, spend the extra money and update to a new rack system. There are a lot of "old style systems" that are hard to find cables for and then you still have an old rack. Besides some of the new systems are completely stainless steel for the corrosion factor. Trust me, it is not worth the headache to go through all that research and time to change the cable just to save $60.00. Check with any of those places listed and they can help you out. I know Rex Marine usually has them in stock. If they don't let me know and I'll check my stock. I usually have a couple on the shelf.
    Good Luck,
    Mike
    (909) 484-8338
    www.primemarineusa.com