Thread: Help, My boat got hit

BALLSDEEP
    I need some advice, about a month ago; my boat got hit while I was eating lunch at Topak. I got the driver of the boat and the boat ownerÂ’s driverÂ’s license numbers, phone numbers and the CF number off of the boat. I took my boat to Eliminator to get an estimate on the gel coat repair. I called both the driver and the owner of the boat and they said they would take care of everything. I mailed them copies of the estimate and havenÂ’t heard anything. Recently I received a call from the driverÂ’s girlfriend informing me that that both of these guys were in the military and were just sent to Iraq for a year I donÂ’t know if this is true or a crock of shit. The girlfriend called and didnÂ’t leave any way to get back in touch with her, what do I do? Do I call the cops or what? it was about $1000 dollars worth of damage that I paid for and it feels like I am getting screwed, and I donÂ’t know how to proceed.
    Help me. Has anyone had to deal with a similar situation?

Kachina26
    I need some advice, about a month ago; my boat got hit while I was eating lunch at Topak. I got the driver of the boat and the boat ownerÂ’s driverÂ’s license numbers, phone numbers and the CF number off of the boat. I took my boat to Eliminator to get an estimate on the gel coat repair. I called both the driver and the owner of the boat and they said they would take care of everything. I mailed them copies of the estimate and havenÂ’t heard anything. Recently I received a call from the driverÂ’s girlfriend informing me that that both of these guys were in the military and were just sent to Iraq for a year I donÂ’t know if this is true or a crock of shit. The girlfriend called and didnÂ’t leave any way to get back in touch with her, what do I do? Do I call the cops or what? it was about $1000 dollars worth of damage that I paid for and it feels like I am getting screwed, and I donÂ’t know how to proceed.
    Help me. Has anyone had to deal with a similar situation?
    Turn it in to your insurance and they will go after his if he has it. If not they will go after him. That's what it's for.

SCOPE
    Bummer. You really should have got the harbor patrol involved somehow. If they are in Iraq, I'm sure this is not on their mind. If they are not there and are using the girl as a front, you're not going to get anything. Leave another message or two. Sorry.

Kilrtoy
    IF your not at fault , that what insurance is for CALL THEM and let them deal with it....

Performance 19
    Not sure, as it has been a long time since I got hit...but, I remember going to the DMV and filling out an accident report. Seems to me that you must make a report if there is damage over $500.00 or any bodily injury. Hope this helps. Jim

ratso
    If she looks good F##K the S##T out of her and call it even...

C-2
    Insurance as others have suggested.
    If not, BoatPI can tell ya what to do, he deals with this stuff all the time.
    If they are in the military, it could present problems since I would say your next course of action (if no insurance) is small claims. However, there is an obscure Federal code (Civil Servants/SailorÂ’s Relief Act or something similar) that affords protection to active military personnel. The intent of the law was to keep soldiers homes from being foreclosed upon.
    Did they look/act like they could be in the military?
    If BoatPI is too busy, I can help you. Shoot me a PM, it could be real easy; but inversely real tuff since a lot of the info is hard to get in todayÂ’s post 911 world. At a minimum, should be able to develop some phone numbers and verify their addresses so you can do as Ratso suggested
    Â…Â…kidding :hammer2:

Tyson Ross
    I used to be a claims rep and once I had an insured who was overseas and I needed to confirm the facts of the COLLISION with him. Took some time but he finally got our letters and responded so I could pay the claim.

RUCAV
    As a former Military person who used the soldier and sailors act to get out of a high interest loan, I dont think it will relieve someone of their responsibility in the case of an accident. Also, if you have an address maybe a little surveilance is in order. Then if the guys are there, use a roos. I.E. "My buddy who is an off duty cop saw you at your house and took some photos. You can either handle this or my attorney can handle it for you."
    Kind of strong but if they're ducking you, maybe you need to be strong. I had a guy try and blow of an accident by not informing his insurance. This worked for me. Good luck!