Thread: flywheel

turbo
    I here that you are supposed to use a flywheel in stead of a flexplate why. my rig has a flexplate it worke fine. another friend has BBC his works also. by not using one am I missing something.

oldphart
    i don't know why they put on flywheels. I replaced the 40lb monster on my olds with a flex plate and really picked up throttle response any one else have thoughts?

mister460
    Well, with a small engine a flywheel will help it idle lower and smoother. But with a v-8(especially BB) you have enough rotating mass to keep the engine going smoothly. But a 1.8l Honda won't idle without one. Ditch the flywheel, don't need it.

spectras only
    Turbo, my guess is ,80% of the jetboats have a flexplate,go for it.

regattaJim
    i have a 5.7 olds diesel in mine.... and no flywheel ...just a flexplate.... works ok.....

turbo
    thanks fellas I'll stick with mine to.

travis hathaway
    Just rebuilt 455 that was balanced with a flywheel. Could I use just any flexplate or would the flexplate have to be balanced? The crankshaft for this engine was balanced with harmonic Balancer and flywheel.

spectras only
    Travis ,your flexplate has to be balanced if your engine is internally balanced.Chev's are usually externally balanced with flywheels and counterweights behind the harmonic balancer.Fords are internally balanced up to around 1978-1980.