Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paging Olds Guys

hickz3
    Painted my stock 455 on the weekend. Got looking at the block and heads and noticed it's an "F" block with "G" heads. Any info on either head and/or block preference would be appreciated.

malcolm
    455 block, 455 heads.

El Prosecutor
    :idea: You can find lots of good info at www.Realoldspower.com - they even have a forum specifically for Olds powered boats.

hickz3
    Thanks Malcom, hadn't figure that out yet but seriously ..... I guess what I was getting at was that are F heads better than G heads, this block better than that block and why.
    still waiting for confirmation on the Olds boards so I can post questions there.
    Thanks

HotDogz

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    442.com has alot of info!!!!!!

Sleek-Jet
    "almost" all of the Olds big blocks have are F castings.
    The "G" heads are good heads, don't let go of them.
    Check out the FAQ link off of 442.com address 396 posted, it'll answer alot of questions for you.

malcolm
    Thanks Malcom, hadn't figured that out yet, but seriously ..... I guess what I was getting at was that are F heads better than G heads, this block better than that block and why.
    F heads are worth big money to a guy building a numbers matching car, so don't waste them in a boat. I wasn't really sure what info you were after, thus the generic responce. All Olds heads can be made to flow about the same with port work. Joe Mondello started the rumor about the C heads being the best 'as cast' head, but the As and Bs have the same flow numbers. I'm putting As on the 455 I'm building. There's also the rumor about grinding out the AIR bumps in the exhaust ports, this has been proven wrong on realoldspower.com on a flowbench. As far as blocks go, the earlier the better is the rumor. The F-'number' inside the bell housing area is higher on newer blocks and is said to indicate a lower nickel content of the iron. Most of these are just rumors or 'believed to bo true', so take them as serious as you like. Basically, heads and blocks can all be made to work with the right crank.
    How's that?

TIMINATOR
    Wait for the June issue of ***boat (the magazine), 12+ pages of Olds boat motor info. Some info, actually a lot, crosses over to cars. TIMINATOR :rollside:

hickz3
    Thanks for the info. 442 site is great!
    couple more simple questions. What kind of plugs, wires and engine oil should I run in this thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast