Thread: bbc starter

76cole
    lets try this in here.
    bbc starter
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ok got the flywheel and drive shaft hub on and i am using the old style chevy flywheel cover adapter that bolts to the block. what type starter do i use the regular one has to big of a end on it. does anyone know what year used the small end housing on them? help almost ready to install the engine in the cole. HELP. thanks
    76cole

Clutch
    Hi Cole
    I would get a TCI and be done have one on my jet and works like a champ, it's also gear reducted.Good Luck russell

Bobbo541
    I use a Tilton super starter on my 468 chevy and it works great. I used to have a 76 cole TR1 I sold it last year.I ran 10 sec. with about 700 horse 468 chevy. I had 15% gears and 11-16 prop, but i think prop was to big.

76cole
    i ordered a tci starter for it yesterday. almost ready to drop the engine in. than all i have to do is change the gears then it's time for driving lessons.
    hope all goes well.
    76cole

BOAT ANCHOR
    lets try this in here.
    bbc starter
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ok got the flywheel and drive shaft hub on and i am using the old style chevy flywheel cover adapter that bolts to the block. what type starter do i use the regular one has to big of a end on it. does anyone know what year used the small end housing on them? help almost ready to install the engine in the cole. HELP. thanks
    76cole
    76 Cole:
    I'm the guy you picked your current project up from in SoCal.When using a cast iron power glide adapter as a flywheel cover, you must open up the diameter of the hole that the starter nose fits into (on the p/g adapter), to use the large style GM starter motor. This dose not have to be precision (since the starter housing locates on the block) and can be done with a die grinder. Try and locate a starter nose piece that is cast iron rather than aluminum as the cast iron will allow for less flex (stays in better alignment) when starter is cranking over. Make sure to use the GM type starter bolts with the knurling on the shank which is crucial for starter alignment. Also be sure to run a front starter brace which attaches to the top starter motor stud and to a threaded hole in the side of the block (available at PAW, or GM) as this will also aid in maintaining starter alignment and help to prevent flex of the starter motor when the starter motor is cranking over. I ran this type of starter and power glide adapter on my runner bottom Sanger for 19 years with no problems. Hope this helps.

76cole
    well i aready ordered the starter so i will use it. but thanks for the infomation about the back mount. how is your project coming that you had in your garage.
    76cole