Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo question

billet racing
    Fired the new motor. surges, and sucks down the hoses connecting the turbo's to the intercooler. Looks like she's breathing, in/out. Is this typical?

Unchained
    Idle surge = too rich
    18 inches vaccuum at idle = collapsed hose
    Replace the hose with aluminum tubing and just use a short piece of hose to connect at the ends.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...C01631-med.JPG

billet racing
    Thanks, I'll give it a try

billet racing
    New aluminum tubes,
    Anywhere below 1,100 rpm and it starts surging. Ran it for a good hour in the drive way. Tried couple of combo, and it surges. Kept it between 1,000 and 3,500 rpms. Mostly between 1,200 and 2,100. Fires instantly oncew it is warmed up, bat man, when its cold, it took a while. needed to keep the rr's up.

Unchained
    Billetracing,
    What are you using for a fuel mixer?
    Are you using a carbureted draw through setup?
    Put up a picture.
    Mark

Infomaniac
    I'm thniking his throttle valves are before the turbo. Vacuum all the way from there to the engine. Getting rid of the surge alone should correct most of his trouble. Needs something stronger regardless if it is flexing like that.

Turbojack
    From the first picture it looks like it has EFI, If so then the program is the problem. My guess is too lean at idle & if hard to start when cold the cranking pulse width needs to be longer.

billet racing
    OK, put in solid connections. small silicone hose similar to Unchained. thanks
    for the picture.
    Ran it today at Berryessa. Took it easy, left the rev limiter at 6,000. starts easy, idles smooth, but at 1,100. No flat spots. Cruisin at 3,000-3,500 and can still carry on a conversation. Boost starts coming on at 4,500, At 6,000 has 17 lbs of boost.
    did not run too much or too hard today. Will run the valves and check it all out, then start moving the rev limiter up.
    It's all I wanted it to be. Real happy.

MikeF
    Just be careful of that rev limiter set at 6k and running the engine @ 6k. You'll be putting unused fuel and o2 into the exhaust manifolds only to burn it there before the turbo and could cause problems (probable more boost and higher temp on the turbine wheel). Just letting you know what could happen. :jawdrop:

Unchained
    Billet racing,
    Do you have any pictures of your setup?
    You can put them up on the image center or email them to me and I'll upload and post them for you.
    mark55@direcway.com
    Take the picture at about a 800 x 600 maximum image size or the file will be too large to email.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast