Thread: Champion V-drive rattles?

MohaveChuck
    My Champion V-drive rattles when I am just in gear at no wake speed. Never noticed until I put my drive line back in after getting a U-joint repaired. Took off the seat to make sure I have no vibration and U-Joint is looking straight and hear the rattling. Smooths out as soon as I give it any throttle.
    Bad news?
    Chuck

My Champion V-drive rattles when I am just in gear at no wake speed. Never noticed until I put my drive line back in after getting a U-joint repaired. Took off the seat to make sure I have no vibration and U-Joint is looking straight and hear the rattling. Smooths out as soon as I give it any throttle.
    Bad news?
    Chuck
    A little rattle from gear lash is not unusual at idle. I can't imagine why it would change though from chaning a ujoint unless you lowered your idle speed.

InKahntrol
    The split-case Casale in my old boat used to rattle at no-wake speed all the time, but the Champion in my Campbell seems pretty quiet. Then again, its hidden under floorboards so maybe I just can't hear it. If you're concerned, JD Machine in Lake Havasu specializes in these things, and they will rebuild it for about $200.

spectras only
    Have the Ace unit in my 24 spectra .It's silent in forward mode and can be heard in reverse only.http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Champion%20Ace.jpg

Slyder
    Like Mike posted earlier, did you lower the idle speed or make any other changes since you last ran the boat? My Casale used to rattle at idle speeds until I changed props. My new prop loaded the gearbox so the backlash couldn't clack. Clacking in the no-wake zones shouldn't hurt anything.
    I don't think that this should be a problem since you stated that it goes away once you give it a little gas. :rollside:
    Paul

Bob Hostetter
    A rattle or light knocking noise at idle speeds is fairly common with a 'v'drive. The lower your engine idles the more likely it is to do it. It normally is caused by the drive gears bouncing back and forth against each other across the clearances or backlash...........

MohaveChuck
    Thanks everyone, the rattle was probably there all along and only noticed when I took the seat off to have a look at the u-joint turning.
    Chuck

Slap Dawg!
    Damn Slyder you sound like you've been around boats a time or two. Ever been to a race or though about helping out on a crew?
    Slappy