Thread: Marine Stereo question

Banshee
    Does anybody know what the difference is between regular automotive StereoÂ’s and Marine grade stereo equipment. IÂ’m going to swap out the am/fm/ cassette player I currently have in my boat for a CD player this spring and was wondering if the extra bucks for a marine unit is worth it. The main unit will be in a spot that will get rained on if I would happen to get caught in a storm but I do plan to get one of those covers. Does anybody have a favorite brand/ model etc. I donÂ’t plan on anything radical just a good sounding unit and speakers.

ROZ
    I know that there are only 2 companies that make true MARINE stereos.
    1. Clarion
    2. Clarion
    J/k
    2. Tristar Distributing. They take Kenwood decks apply silicone epoxy to coat circuit boards, and add a mylar drip shield to protect the chasis. They also convert the unit to accept a hardwired marine remote. Carver Yachts and Formula use them OEM.
    Some MFG's just change the facia to white and call it marine.
    If you are sure it will rained on, go Clarion. While nothing is waterproof, Clarion is your best bet!
    http://www.clarion-usa.com/images/pr...e/XMDI-RET.jpg
    http://www.clarion-usa.com/images/pr...ge/M101RCW.jpg
    CHris
    P.S. Alpine makes the best sounding MARINE 6.5" coax speaker. Babb has the best sounding MARINE 6x9's. MB Quart makes the best sounding MARINE seperates. I wouldn't try to steer you wrong. I don't stock 2 of these brands.
    [This message has been edited by ROZ (edited February 15, 2002).]
    [This message has been edited by ROZ (edited February 15, 2002).]

froggystyle
    Listen to ROZ, I have. He knows his shite.

DerangedToo
    I would also like to add the Pioneer marine speaker to the list, totaly waterproof, plastic speaker basket, will never rust, and with a nice 75wpc amp kick ass !!
    heres a link: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/com...r=2495&outlet=
    [This message has been edited by DerangedToo (edited February 15, 2002).]

ROZ
    Thanks Froggy. I still GOTTA hear your boat!
    DerangeredToo, Glad to hear you like your speakers. I'll have to get out and hear those Pioneers. Thanks

jeff-in-ky
    I know you want a cd player, but Overtons has the Clarion am/fm cassette just like ROZ shows for $99.99 which is a heck of a deal.
    Tha same model except cd vs cassette is $499.99, add a separate cd changer and you will be ahead of the game.
    BTW- I am out of my league when it comes to this so just my .01 cents worth.

Banshee
    Thanks to Roz and everyone else for the advice. 500 is more than I wanted to spend. Maybe I'll have to reconsider what I'm going to do with my IRS check. Oh, thats right, my wife already has that planned.