Thread: Surge Brakes

82SleekCraft
    My 1982 Performance trailer is equipped with surge brakes. Being an old trailer which was neglected by the previous owner, the surge brakes no longer work. There seems to be quite a bit of crud and rust inside the fluid reservoir. I was thinking or replacing/rebuilding the master cylinder. I noticed that Champion Trailers has a rebuild kit for around $40. Have any of you guys done this? Another option would be to get their new electric over hydraulic brake actuator. It is controlled by a brake controller traditionally used for electric brakes. The actuator converts electrical signal and transfers the pressure to a master cylinder capable of producing up to 1000PSI. This would also solve the problem surge brakes owners have when backing up (especially uphill). The negative side is that it costs about $400.
    Is it pretty easy to rebuild one of these surge brake setup? Thanks in advance.

hottrodder
    electric over hydraulic all the way. I just installed this kit on my tandem axle R&S. The surge brakes would lock up when the trailer got light over dips in the road. I smoked down two sets of bearings last year and decided to go disc this off season. Haven't towed a distance with them yet but in a panic test they worked great. No jerk, pull, or lockup. Well worth the money I think.

Erik
    Are surge brakes that bad? When I bought my trailer the surge brakes were not hooked up. I was going to hook them up in the next few weeks. How much are the electric kits & what is involved in installing them?

jroos
    You can`t beet disc brakes hand down. Surge or electric. You can easily hose them off.
    On my Southwind trailer, I would have to cut off the tongue to replace. The shock I can`t find anywhere.