Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mandatory Licensing of Boaters?

Essex502
    With the recent collisions on the Colorado River and Lake Havasu does anybody besides me see a future where some form of regulation will be imposed on us, the boating public? If that regulation were to take a form, what would the rest of you support?
    Also, any constructive comments should be posted. If we, as the boating public, get involved early enough in the legislative process just maybe we can shape the regulation so that it isn't so restrictive as to be burdensome to us.

BADBLOWN572
    This topic has been brought up a couple of times in the past and some people are for and some are against. The biggest complaint is that it would be just another way for the local governments to make money and restrict our rights. It would also be extremely difficult to enforce. I do agree that there should be some way to regulate boaters and hold them accountable for their actions, but I am still debating on if the liscenses are the answer.

lucky
    accidents happen weather some one says you can do somthing or not --- keep the fun in it for our future generations - i liked driving the boat when i was 14

Roxysnow
    I heard that a few years back Governor Davis rejected a bill that would required boaters take boater safety and licensing. But due the high cost to initiate, the bill was rejected. Just what I heard.

Roxysnow
    accidents happen weather some one says you can do somthing or not --- keep the fun in it for our future generations - i liked driving the boat when i was 14
    I am assuming you weren't alone? now a days, I see 14 yr olds riding PWC's alone? F'n crazy!

RobR.
    I would be in complete argeement with this if it would help prevent some of the accidents that have occured in the last couple months. Also I would think that it would help out with the price of insurance.

HCS
    Mandatory education. When you pass they give you a licence would be fine
    with me.
    I don't think you need a drivers test. :notam:

LakeRacer
    Mandatory Education.
    So many of you have complained that any joe blow can purchase a 100mph boat without any experience in boating whatsoever. Will mandatory education solve all the problems? No. But it will help tremendously. And make it a requirement that all rental businesses can only rent to people who have passed a safe boating class.
    Like I said, it won't solve all of the problems but it will help.

lucky
    I am assuming you weren't alone? now a days, I see 14 yr olds riding PWC's alone? F'n crazy!
    when my partents felt i knew the boat and rules- i'd take the boat for a lil run - when i was sixteen i got a rayson flatty

OGShocker
    I am torn. On one hand, I do not want big brother ef'ing around with more regulations on my life style. On the other hand, I think something needs to be done to educate the "newbie" boater as to the laws and common courtesies of boating.
    Nice thread!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast