Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: masonry, stucco, block wall knowledge

91nordic29
    i want to coat/cover/paint my block walls in the back yard so that i can paint a mural on them. as it is now, the paint just soaks right into them. what would be the least expensive way (w/o being too labor intensive) to go about this?
    thank you in advance!

Danhercules
    Masonry, stucco, concrete, its all pourus. It will suck up water or anything you put on it. You need to coat it with a mosture barrior. I forget the name, ya put it on the inside of a block planter so the water dose not seep through and stant the front of the block. Danm, huge brain fart.

91nordic29
    well, what is that they put on interior walls to give it that southwestern look/feel? would that not work outdoors?

PHX ATC
    Flat trowel some mortar with lime on there. It will still suck up the water and moisture, but not nearly as much as before. Paint it (use a sprayer if you have one and are painting it all one color), then use some of JASCO's sealer. It comes in the 5 gallon bucket at Home Depot or Lowes.

Jordy
    Mural? That's gotta be a west side thing, although I do see quite a few in way South Phoenix too...
    Home Depot should have some, it's in the paint section, around the same area as the Kilz (primer kind of paint). If nothing else, just ask and someone should be able to point you in the right direction.

91nordic29
    thanks guys.
    jordy, still a poop!

Waist Deep
    Paint em with an elastomeric paint. This will not soak in and yes, you can paint over it.

Schiada76
    Use Blockfil, Dunn Edwards sells it.
    If you want waterproof use DryLoc, you can paint a CMU with it and it will hold water.

sandstorm
    If you want a flat surface to start with and the block wall still has paint on it you will have to spray a bonder on it before you can skim coat it, then mix a bonder in with the mud and float it out this is the best way. Elastomaric paint is a great paint because it will bridge the cracks up to 1/4 inch. If you need anymore help email me. I run a large stucco company in Las Vegas.

91nordic29
    there is no paint, just the beige cinder block. is that "mud" like thinset?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast