Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heres why I've been quite about the carbon fiber parts lately

Kurtis500
    Thought I would show this to the ***boat crowd before it gets shown in a couple weeks. Needless to say I have worked for SOO long and hard on this. It finally paid off. I will be up for the ACE awards next month in Tampa for the part and hope to make a big splash with it. I have the molds set-up where I can produce 2 per day if needed. That a long day too. This is designed to fit the late hemis and b/rb motors...and it bullet proof!
    Once my pictures develop I have a few more items to show off.
    Let me know what you guys think. I will give the entry form description below. Not trying to blow my horn, but I've spent months on this and cant remember the last time I got to bed before midnight!!
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/7pan.jpg
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...G_9040Copy.jpg
    Heres the description for the show.
    Composite RTM Oil Pan for Ballistic and Thermal Protection
    The Composite RTM 'Bullet Proof' Oil Pan represents the leading edge in multi-functional composites for engine applications. The oil pan is manufactured using a combination of six individual systems in a closed mold RTM process. A high-slip semi-permanent release system is applied to the mold and countermold to allow for easy part release with high draft angles. The countermold is gelcoated black for the component interior. After gelcoating, the baffles are loaded with layers of carbon fiber and closed mold mat. A layer of thermally protective fabric is then installed to the countermold. The mold is coated with a mixture of clear gelcoat and other chemicals to leave a “workable” surface for layers of carbon fiber. Once cured, the carbon fiber is hand laid into the mold. Next, on a separate fixture, 15 layers of bullet-proof fabric are preformed before being placed into the production mold. Closed mold mat is then multi-layered in various areas of the component to adjust part dimension. The molds are then closed together and injected with a fire retardant resin in a "single shot" RTM process. Once pulled, the component is placed in a customized mill fixture and accurate hole alignment is machined. Metal inserts are epoxied and pressed into place. This allows for air impact tool use when mounting and dismounting the component to engine blocks. The sealing rail and inserts are milled flat for a precise sealing surface. Channeling holes are cut into the baffles and a stainless "trap door" assembly is mounted. Color is applied only to the milled sealing surface for aesthetic design. The component is polished and ready for use. Ballistic design is to meet the SFI 7.1 certification required to withstand a 1350 fps, caliber .22, 17 grain fragmentation simulator.

Squirtin Thunder
    SWEEEEET !!!!

lucky
    sweet

Some Kind Of Monster
    I like it. Very nice.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I am sure glad we know sum smart muthaf***ers on here That looks killer. i hope to see them on the dragboats so I can say I know the guy who invented them

Good looking piece. . . .

moneysucker
    Very nice. Have you had enough sleep to start on one for a chevy now? JK Great looking piece. What does it weigh? How many Qts? Pattent? Take pix with the description and have them notarized and this public posting will provide proof of completion by post date. Have to protect your intrest. Good luck.

Kurtis500
    I'm meeting with a patent attorney next week. I think its good for a design patent because the baffles are cast in place. I think it would be easy to get around though with a small change in design. Sort of like the Bitz hydro is a copy of the Kurtis but with a minor design change. I have 3 other items to discuss with the patent attorney that may qualify for a utility patent. Everyone keeps telling me what your saying!! I'm starting to listen

Kurtis500
    I am sure glad we know sum smart muthaf***ers on here That looks killer. i hope to see them on the dragboats so I can say I know the guy who invented them
    Thanks.. I'm not that smart...really.
    One of them will be on Dave Sharps TAH at the World Finals in November.
    Darren

waterslinger
    WOW looks great. Nice work

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast