Thread: 188 Bare Head Needed

DansBlown73Nordic
    I need a bare 188 Square Port open chamber head. :cry:

DansBlown73Nordic
    I pulled it apart today. It is cracked inside the exhaust port on # 1. Looks like it cracked in a couple spots. :hammerhea
    If some of you remember this is the head that was repaired. However this is not the port that was fixed. That looks just fine.
    Are these 990 heads prone to cracking? I was told the 188 heads are thicker. Does anyone know this for sure?????

Fiat48
    You had the one cylinder or whatever fixed. Why not have this one fixed? One head rather tough to find, especially these heads. Plus you already have other work in the head you have..valve job, etc. Head you buy will probably have to have head work..valve job, etc.
    Or is it in a place not repairable?
    Never heard of 990 heads being particularly prone to cracking. They are not a thin wall casting.

DansBlown73Nordic
    LONNGGGGGGG STORY but the first repair was FREE. This time it will not be. Im not sure I want to put more money in this head that has been repaired twice. Im not sure its worth it.

Jordy
    I think it would probably be cheaper to get it fixed than to find a new one and have to get all the work done for it to match the other head, like Fiat said. Just a thought.

78Eliminator
    Get them fixed. There, now you have three people saying you should fix them.
    Fiat, do you have any ready-crete you can loan him? :hammerhea

Hotcrusader76
    Wow. So that was the problem Dan? Did you ever check out that timing concern we chatted about?
    ~Ty

DansBlown73Nordic
    Never got a chance. Maybe next year.... :wink:

texas-19
    sounds like you may have some steam pockets?Depending on where it is cracked it could be fixed rather easily by a good machine shop.I had a block repaired 1 year ago for $37.00 and i have not had a problem with it.You running a thermostat?

DansBlown73Nordic
    Here is the problem. These heads are from Florida. They were run in Salt water. This head is rusted thin from the water jacket out. I don't think it is worth fixing. The one on the other side is a much newer head. That one has been ok.